Lab Testing For TBD

Burpdog

Guest RileyGrey

I just had Riley tested for TBD and he came back with a positive titer for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. He is not symptomatic yet, and we are going to run him through a course of Antibiotics. My question is...I cannot find any information on the symptoms of this disease. Please get your dog's tested. Riley came from a track in Wisconsin so location does not matter!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest annericky

Have any Ontario residents asked their vets about the low price? Will they send to Protatek, or do they send to UGuelph instead (who might in turn send the samples to Protatek)? My vet told me $300 for the tick panel (he's a vet that GLOHW sometimes uses, although my dog came from GRA)!

ricky6small.jpg

Edited by annericky

Guest mleg2001

Hi Anne: That price is likely the cost the vet quoted you was to tested here in Ontario, that was about what I paid before I knew about Protatek. You might be better off having the vet draw the blood and you ship it yourself. Another option is GINA will have some new dogs coming in on March 9th. Their bloodtest is done on the 10th in Oakville their vet then sends the blood to the Port Colbourne vet and on the 11th in Port Colbourne, it is shipped to Protatek, it may be possible for GINA to include your sample with their shipment(not guaranteeing it) In my signature line is a link to their website, you could try reaching them through their contact list to see, if this is possible.

Another person who also adopted from GRA sent their samples out themselves, I included the details that they posted in another bulletin board based in Ontario.

I spoke with Prota Tek today. their "basic

tick panel" includes Canine Ehrlichiosis and Babesiosis, Rocky

Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme Disease. The cost is still $53.00

US. But if you also want Valley Fever tested for (only if you dog(s)

ran in Florida or Arizona, there is an extra charge of $22.00. Prota

Tek accepts samples Monday through Friday and is open 8:00 to 5:00

(Arizona time). Now for the good news...I spoke to Purolator today.

If the samples can be packed in a 6" by 6" box, the charge for next

day delivery is $47.32 CAD (a nice round figure). My vet will freeze

the samples and include cold packs in the box. The only problem is,

this price applies to a package shipped from Windsor. I live about

20 mins. outside Windsor, so it's no problem for me. So there it is,

for what it's worth.

• 4 months later...
Guest kapil

hello sir/madame, i m extremely upset cos my newfoundland dog age 7 years was diagnosed with babesia canis treated for 1 week on 20 feb 2003,recovered v well.then became extremely lathargic after exertion one day in march 1st week.then stopped eating on april 20th i got him tested for b.canis blood slide method nothing was seen so no treatment.became fine with navalgin.again stopped eating on 7 may.diagnosed with double positive b. canis on 14 may after gastro treatment for 2 days.was given imizol 4 mg/kg sc.further deteriorated v v badly.couldnt get up or eat .died a v painful death on 24may morning left me vvvv upset and sad .what went wrong pl explain .whos 2 blame.i live in n delhi ,india its v hot place.i got my dog as a puppy frm poland.thanks v much.my email id kapilmanak@hotmail.com.

Guest Maggies Mom

The bloodwork on my recently rescued 2 yo came back showing anemia. The vet drew more blood to test for Babesia. What else can cause anemia?

Guest ChasesMom

Just an update----I had a TiBD done on Chase thanks to all of the helpful information you guys gave me, and thanks to you too Wendy! Anyway all of Chase's results came back negative, although his lyme disease came back a low positive (I can't remember exactly what she called it), but my vet said that that was probably caused because he recently got a lyme disease vaccine, so it's fine. So thankfully he's all healthy! :) It's such a sigh of relief! I would like to thank all of you for putting up such great information. This is such a great site!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Guest_gryhoundgirl

okay don't think i am a bad grey mommie. However, i don't think either of my twins have ever been tested for this. is this something they should have done? My one grey has valley fever will that be a problem? anyone with any info, thanks

Heidi and the twins

• 4 months later...