Broken Toe / 2 Front Toes Left

Guest CallMeKit

Guest CallMeKit

Our 11.5 year old girl Kit broke her toe this morning. We took her to emergency hospital and x-rays show a compound fracture of the bone. The bone is practically shattered. The vet suggested an amputation of the toe (it is the outside toe of her front paw). Unfortunately, Kit is already missing the inside toe of the same paw. It was amputated 6 years ago. We are scheduled to see an orthopedic vet tomorrow but we were hoping to get your input on this.

We went with Kit through both - the toe amputation, as well as a broken toe (on her back paw 4 years ago). The amputation was definitely faster healing process for her. Unfortunately, we are not sure how she would be doing with only two toes left on the front paw (the middle toes). She is an older girl but she is still very active dog, fast runner, often "bouncing" around the yard with a stuffed toy. We want to make sure we are doing the best for her.

Thank you!

P.S. This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right.

In my unprofessional opinion she will do just fine. She will still have both weight bearing toes on that foot. If it had been a simple fracture or break I would feel different about amputation, but for a shattered bone my thought is that it would be best. I think I would even opt for amputation with a fracture like you describe even if it had been one of her weight bearing toes.

Many greys lose multiple toes and do fine. And at this point, there's not really another option. A shattered toe has very little chance to heal without extensive surgery, if repair is even possible.

She might slow down a bit, and you might want to purchase a Therapaw boot for that foot to protect it, but really - she should be fine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest elizabeth7418

I agree with the other replies. My mom's angel Dobbi had broken a toe at the track and it never fully healed. When he was 12.5, he fractured the toe next to it and the vet ended up amputating both, so he was left with only two toes on that foot. It took a while to heal, but he was fine after a couple of months. Once healed, he never had trouble walking on the foot. I believe it was one of his rear feet, but I can't remember. Good luck!