Rooing While Alone

Guest MrsKuchta

Guest MrsKuchta

We went to the store this morning and I decided to set up a camera to record Roobie to see how she was doing by herself in the crate. When we got back an hour and a half later, I watched it and was pretty surprised. In the 45 minutes or so that got recorded, she roo'ed about 8-9 times. She would only do it for a minute or so, then lay her head back down.

She never got up, never tore up her crate, just lifted her head, and roo'ed.

Is this boredom or SA? We have never had a problem with her tearing up her crate while we are gone, and after we first got her when we would leave she would cry the whole time...so I did some alone training and now we have this....(we have had her for a little over a month and a half)

Also, she has to be in her crate while we are gone because we have two cats who she still isn't safe with by herself and they will jump over baby gates stacked two high...so leaving her out is not an option.

Guest Doggone

I've never figured out the criteria for time-to-roo since Autumn only does it in her sleep! In fact, sleep time is her noisiest time........she'll sigh (big time), bark, whimper, roo, and make other assorted noises. When awake, she's silent!

She's a fabulous dog, but definitely weird......(maybe it's right that she lives here, since Austin's motto is: Keep Austin Weird :D)

I wouldn't be concerned. Ozzie used to do that every time I left and he wasn't crated, nor was he the only dog here. He has been here just over 4 months now and I don't think he does it anymore.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Doc would do this initially when he was left on his own, as did my neighbour's little cockapoo. Both have grown out of it. Always sounded to me like 'I'm here all on my own and where are the rest of you-ou-ou?', and this was more or less what John Bradshaw said too, on a recent UK TV documentary about dogs left by themselves. So it's separation anxiety, yes, but if she's not otherwise distressed she'll probably grow out of it too.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My dogs will roo if they hear a siren. No clue why and it only lasts a minute or so.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****