Advice Needed Please. Swelling At The Joint, Pain And Limping

Misha has slight swelling in her right leg at the joint above her foot. It is warm, hurts her if you press it. She is putting weight on it but limping. This started around Monday and we have been taking it easy until the appointment today.

We went to the vet and they took xrays - they said she had to lie down on her side for xrays ( really?). All we could hear was a lot of scuffling and crying. I almost barged in to the xray room. Our vet is on vacation and this was the covering vet that we have never met before.

She said the xrays looked good from a bone stand point. The bone looked good, the lines of the edge of the bone looked good and we are hoping for a soft tissue injury??! Misha came home on rymidol ( sp?) and Tramadol.

They said she was shaking like a leaf and getting the xray was really difficult. Should I get more xrays? a second opinion?

I was going to give the medicine and wait till next week when I can to see our regular vet.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance,

A very worried momma

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I would be worried, too. If you decide to get more x-rays, I would ask your vet to sedate her. My vet uses a very mild one for DaVid's corn removal. He gets a shot in his hip and is asleep for about 30 minutes. She then gives him another shot to reverse the first. This is something new for her practice, because she used to have to put him under general anesthesia.

Thank you for your response. I will find out about the sedation for future xrays.

Bumping for any other feedback.

Does Tramadol have side effects? She was restless and panting during the night and seemed to be shivering. She was on the bed between us with blankets on her.

Thanks again for your thoughts

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Yes, the distress may be down to the Tramadol - it doesn't suit every dog. Inform your vet - she should be able to prescribe something else.

Sedation for x-rays is pretty standard for dogs, though because greyhounds are so gentle and tractable they don't always need it. My Doc was quite happy to lie still on the table for one spinal x-ray, somewhat to my vet's surprise, but was put under for another in the shoulder area as that required his front legs to be stretched out and we didn't think he would 'hold the pose'. It sounds a sensible way to proceed in this case.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Agree that Tramadol can cause some pups to be anxious and pant a lot. For the x-rays, I would suggest getting the films reviewed by a second vet or better a radiologist. You can also send them to Dr. Coutu if you wish. Some pups are okay having x-rays done, some are not. A light sedation is sometimes necessary - just make sure the vet is your vet and or someone who knows Greyhounds.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Bumping for any other feedback.

Does Tramadol have side effects? She was restless and panting during the night and seemed to be shivering. She was on the bed between us with blankets on her.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Two of my dogs have not done well with Tramadol. Restless, panting, pacing, and whining all night long. Princess actually seemed to be hallucinating - she would startle, prick her ears and then wander through the house like she was looking for the source of some non-existent sound.

Hope Misha is feeling better soon. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest peacehound

My girl had a terrible reaction the first time she took Tramadol after a surgery. I was afraid to ever give it to her again. She stood at the foot of our bed and starred at us, paced around and just couldn't relax. Now that she is 12 and has some old injuries and is in pain, she takes a small dose and it really helps a lot without any side effects. It might just be your dog needs a smaller dose.