Could It Be Something Other Than The Thrombus

Something I have questioned is whether the panting episodes Nadir has had have been related to pain the thrombus is causing or is the pain from something else. The majority of his panting episodes always occurred as I was walking him around the yard to relieve himself. Prior to the last bad episode in October during which time I thought I was going to lose him, I had to coax him to eat with all kinds of add-ins. Then I found a food that seemed to agree with him. No longer did I have to add anything to entice him to eat, he was there waiting for me to put his bowl down and finishing every last morsel. On top of that the panting episodes stopped completely. Lately though they've started up again and tonight was pretty bad. He's resting now after I gave him the burprenorohine injection, but is having some of the most foul gas. This makes me think his digestive system is now starting to react adversely to the food he was doing so good on. If that is the case I wonder if putting him on budesonide would help him. I just don't want to give up if there is a solution to what is ailing him.

Could be but hard to tell without doing some testing. Hugs to you and your good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What testing aside from doing a biopsy could tell me if this is the direction I need to look into. Also what could cause a dog to develop allergies to one food after another? I say allergies because these were foods he had no problem with for long periods of time. He then started having the urinary issues which resolved as soon as I removed the offending food item. All would go well for a good period of time and the problem would start again. I would do an elimination diet again, find the problem food and once removed the issue would resolve. The problem is he seems to have run out of everything I can feed him and I have tried everything. This last food, Canine Caviar Chicken and Pearled Millet, didn't stop the urination problem, but did stop the heavy panting he would do whenever out to go to the bathroom. Now after feeding this food for about 2-1/2 months I'm seeing signs of trouble again and that's why I am wondering if the budesonide wouldn't be worth a try.

If he hasn't had recent bloodwork and urinalysis and fecal, I would do those things. I'd probably add a test or two to make sure he doesn't have pancreatitis or giardia. Then it might indeed be worth trying the budesonide.

I hope you can find something that works for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's had the standard bloodwork and urinalysis done. He had those done on a regular basis while being seen by Auburn and again in November about a month after his last visit to Auburn. They however were so focused on his thrombus that I don't feel they really looked into everything deep enough and did any type of specialized testing. Another thing I will add is that his bowel movements are not loose like is usual for a dog with IBD or IBS, it is the opposite he strains to go. I don't think fecal tests have been done, is there a specialty test I should inquire about.

Also what could cause a dog to develop allergies to one food after another?

Leaky gut could cause this. If the gut is leaky, particles of food can leak out into the blood and cause the immune system to react, thereby setting up an allergy or intolerance. Until the gut is healed, new allergies/intolerances will continue to develop. The gut would be healed by avoiding foods which are currently causing allergies, plus probiotics, digestive enzymes and supplements such as l-glutamine and slippery elm.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Hawthorn, that was something on the lines of what I was thinking. I've tried eliminating foods, but honestly there is nothing left. I'm going to try the L-glutamine and see if that helps. I'm not comfortable using the slippery elm because I'm afraid it would interfere with the absorption of his other medicines he is on.

Is there a test that can help in diagnosing leaky gut?

Edited by 4My2Greys

Hawthorn, that was something on the lines of what I was thinking. I've tried eliminating foods, but honestly there is nothing left. I'm going to try the L-glutamine and see if that helps. I'm not comfortable using the slippery elm because I'm afraid it would interfere with the absorption of his other medicines he is on.

Is there a test that can help in diagnosing leaky gut?

For people, there is an intestinal permeability test available, but not sure what's available for dogs. To be honest, though, I wouldn't bother with tests for this: if he has food intolerances, it's fair to assume he has a leaky gut and treat accordingly. I take Slippery Elm myself for leaky gut and was advised by my doctor to take it on any empty stomach at least 1 hour away from food, other supplements and medications.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

If he is straining and stool is very firm, might add some oil and/or moisture to his food (fish oil if he can have that; for moisture, soak the food for a little while before feeding).

I was advised to take it twice daily at least an hour before meals.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

Most any oil would probably help -- any type that he can have. Not too much -- teaspoon or two per meal to start with.