Puzzle Toys

Guest Impossiblealto

Guest Impossiblealto

Hey guys! We are trying to figure out what to get the boys for Christmas - are there any puzzle toys (my boy gets bored very easily) that your dogs have been especially pleased with? Thanks and Happy Holidays to you and your hounds!

• 3 weeks later...

None of my greys and numerous fosters have ever been interested in puzzle toys/balls After a fail or two they gave up. They would all happily follow Poodle down the hallway when he worked the ball sharing in his spoils. If they are easily bored they won't keep trying on a puzzle ball/toy.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Love puzzle toys! Every time I see a new one I have to buy it. Keeps Kili busy and out of trouble.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine has liked all the ones I have given her. I have a couple of the ones where the dog has to push covers off compartments, those she's great at. One has a part where she's supposed to hit a wheel with her paw to open a door. While she's very apt to use her paws, she just can't get the hang of that one.

Both the Buster Cube and a wobbly egg that drops treats she'll chase and kick until they're empty. She'll never say no to a Kong, but it can't be too tightly packed deeper in, or she'll stop going for it.

When I first got her I had a treat ball for my kitties, she bit it in half to get to their treats. Not much of a puzzle that way!

Oh, I'm sorry too, that I didn't see this post until just now!

My two dogs take puzzles differently: Capri is tenacious, so will chase her dizzy ball all over the house until it stops rattling (indicating there are still treats inside). Ajax will nudge his once or twice and if food doesn't immediately come out, he gives up. He far prefers following his sister around hoovering up anything she misses. :lol:

There are two directions you can go with dog puzzles: supervised and unsupervised.

Unsupervised toys are usually the kind that need to be rolled around or chomped on to get food out of. The challenge ranges from Kongs, which are intended for dogs who love to chew, to dizzy ball styles that need to be rolled around. I count the roll around kind as unsupervised although it's good if you're somewhere nearby because they can be rolled under furniture or whatever which may frustrate your dog.

Supervised puzzle toys are fantastic but they are totally intended as cooperative games between you and your dog. Nina Ottoson has several really fantastically designed toys that each have a range of difficulty. Typically you break the game down into small steps starting with the easiest. As your dog learns the easy parts, you add difficulty. Ottoson puzzles have challenges that range from simply sliding open compartments to actually pulling pegs to unlock drawers.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow