Another Positive Step Forward

I didn't know about dremeling dog nails until I read about it here.

We have always taken our dogs to the vet or a groomer to get their nails clipped.

Well since our hounds have been pretty awesome so far with whatever we've presented them with, I decided to buy a dremel and give it a shot myself.

I initially turned it on just to let them hear it. Sidney was fine as usual... June did her usual, I don't know what that sound is so I'm gonna move away from it. I turned it on multiple times and let them sniff it while it was on and off.

Today I thought I'd go for it and try it on Sidney.... At least June would hear it on more.

Sidney laid there while I used it briefly on him. He is ridiculously laid back.

June didn't back away, so we decided to go for it on her. My husband petted her and reassured her while I briefly worked on her front nails. She stayed very still and didn't try to jerk away.

We gave them lots of praise and treats afterwards. I plan on using this on them on a regular basis.

So another successful step in the life of a new hound owner :)

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Guest grey_dreams

For those of you with Dremels, what is the type of instrument that you have? We had one in Europe before I moved here, that I left behind (too much complexity with different electricity types in Europe and US). Here there are more to choose from, so I would like to know which type is the best? Thank you. :)

I've had this one for 10 years now and it's wonderful: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=8000#.UqyzXJ_nbqA

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I bought the Dremel 7700 off Amazon.

I used it on low. It's pretty quiet. So far I'm happy with it. It came with a lot of attachments. It's also cordless.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

This is the one I have. It would work great if Payton would let me trim his nails.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TU0XFU/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SS115

We have this one and I think we paid around $35 for it, so $24.97 looks like a good price. We take the dogs in every few weeks to a groomer who does $5.00 nail trims, and we dremel in between. We need to be more consistent about it, though. Neither of the dogs like it much, but treats help, as does having one of us distract by petting while the other dremels. I like the smoother appearance of dremeled nails, and would love to get my two's nails short enough so they don't click on the hardwood floors.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)