Feet In Seats

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack doesn't have a space aggression issue. However, if he is sharing a couch or rug or the like with his human friends, he has a habit of stretching out his feet behind people (right by their behinds) unnoticed. When his feet inevitably get sat on, he leaps up, flails, and occasionally snaps. Because he's got very sharp teeth and reasonably sharp nails, this means scrapes and bruises for the human who unintentionally sat on him. If I see him stretching out, I'll fold his legs back under him (yes, he's a tolerant boy), but I can't always be on top of things.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to alter this behaviour? I'm worried that someone-- human or canine-- is going to get injured in a more significant way :(

Hmm... so his feet & legs are there, stretched out before a human sits? If so, I'm not getting the problem because it would be simple to look before sitting and fold him up if necessary. Forgive me if I'm looking at this wrong. Maybe he stretches his legs out after you've sat? If so, I suppose you'll have to be aware of what he's doing and not allow it to happen.

Guest Jacks_Human

Hmm... so his feet & legs are there, stretched out before a human sits? If so, I'm not getting the problem because it would be simple to look before sitting and fold him up if necessary. Forgive me if I'm looking at this wrong. Maybe he stretches his legs out after you've sat? If so, I suppose you'll have to be aware of what he's doing and not allow it to happen.

He stealthily stretches his feet out behind people who have sat down, and frequently gets sat on if they lean back or shift their weight

If one is sharing space with your one's dog, one must be aware of where all the dogs parts are at all times. Even if the dog is good about keeping to themselves, sooner or late a part will end up under you.

At night I slide my feet along the floor when I walk in or bedroom. I'd rather bump a dog with my toe than step on one (it can be very dark if there are no stars or moon).

• 3 weeks later...

Well - you did squash his leg - so I'm not surprised he startled - anyone would. But - that known - I'd keep an eye on where he was stretching if I was sitting by him! If you're going to sit in close proximity to a "sneaky-stretcher" - watch your bum!

If one is sharing space with your one's dog, one must be aware of where all the dogs parts are at all times. Even if the dog is good about keeping to themselves, sooner or late a part will end up under you.

At night I slide my feet along the floor when I walk in or bedroom. I'd rather bump a dog with my toe than step on one (it can be very dark if there are no stars or moon).

I hung dark blue Christmas lights along my ceiling - they are on a timer so they come on when it gets dark and shut off in the morning. Provides enough light that I can see to move about the room. Not so much an issue anymore since my Carrie girl and Pinky left us (they were the only two that slept on the floor), but, I keep them up anyway.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--