After Anaesthetic (Peeing ?kidney Related)

Guest blueberri

Guest blueberri

Sparks underwent a light general anaesthetic on Wednesday for another epidural steroid shot (for LS). He is *so* much brighter and moving so much easier already, so I'm delighted.

I'm a wee bit concerned (pardon the pun) that since the anaesthetic he has been peeing like a racehorse. I mean literally for a minute or more, several times a day... and for his evening "last call" walk he didn't even bother doing his pee on everything trick, he went 5 metres from the back door to the nearest patch of grass and thoroughly drowned it.

I hadn't noticed an increase in water intake, but this afternoon he was slogging it down.

And the other worrisome bit is he suddenly appears very ribby. He was at his ideal weight when we took him in (29.5kg). Is it possible something in the anaesthetic had a diuretic effect? Is this normal? Need I be concerned about his kidney function?

Not something I've experienced. I'd check in with the vet - ring the evet if it's out of hours. Maybe it's nothing, just him trying to get the anaesthetic out of his system, but better safe than sorry!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.