How Often Does Your Greys Need A Dental ?

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

Morty had a Dental today and he is doing fine . The Vet told me ( and I knew already ) his Teeth were really bad . 16 Month ago he had his last Dental . Does your Greys get a Dental once a Year , every 2 Years or longer ? Morty just does not chew on anything , not Greenies , not a Knuckelbone or any other Chews. Brushing his Teeth is totaly out.

I am amazed , the Vet already called and wanted to know how Morty is doing . I love my Vet.

I brush every night. My first grey never needed one after the one they did after he retired ay age 3. He passed at 12. His littermate who came to me a six had two and needed another but passed away before it happened just short of his tenth birthday. I can't help think his health might have been better if his teeth were better cared for in his earlier years. My current 8 year old has his last one at age 4 and so far doesn't need another. My five year old had one a year ago and is still good. While i've been relatively lucky and consistent care has helped, I also believe genetics can play into dental health and sometimes a dog just needs more regular dentals.

Did Morty have extractions or dental radiographs today? Not dissing your vet but, I have seen more and more vets not extracting teeth that clearly should have been. Many of our hounds have come from the track with heavy tartar/calculus which in turn cause receding gums which in turn exposes roots and furcations. Those areas will be a prime target for bacteria to thrive causing more and more periodontal disease.

Also, some dogs are just plain predisposed to dental disease. My own girl is one--miss a few days of brushing and her oral health declines. I must brush her teeth daily.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest goofydog

I must say I hit the teeth jackpot with Get Em. He's 11.6 and never had a dental! He's almost to a point that he would probably benefit from one however, his age makes me hesitate to have him put under for it.

Guest greybookends

I feed a raw diet and my guys get plenty of bone. Ginny has never had a teeth cleaning. Bill, Monty, and Sheana had their teeth cleaned when they were adopted and Tasha and Daytona only ever had one teeth cleaning. Even if you do not wantto feed raw if you will get them a raw meaty bone or a turkey neck once or twice a week it will make a big differance in their teeth.

I've brushed Sunny and Sophie's teeth twice a day almost every day since I got them when they were 2. I always brush at least once a day but if I'm very busy the second brushing occasionally gets missed. They'll be 9 in January and have never needed a dental and hopefully never will, since general anaesthetics make me very nervous.

Glad Morty is doing well after his dental!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting