Sometimes I Wish I Could Read Minds...

Guest KTPrime

Guest KTPrime

Then I could figure out whats going on in Optimus' cute little head! Lately, hes started this behavior where he doesnt want to go on his morning walks. Since he moved back, Ive been taking him on hour-long walks every morning, since Im gone for about 9 hours for work. Its both to make sure he makes it without any accidents, and so hes tired and gets into less trouble (he has been known to get into garbage and chew). And another thing to note is he LOVES walks. So much that before now I would say I think he would be totally content if we could just walk all day every day. But now, all of sudden, hes going out in the morning, doing his p&p, and refusing to walk unless Im taking him back in the direction of our apartment. I have seen shades of this behavior before, when he would want to walk left but NOT RIGHT, and would statue trying to go one way, but happily walk the other way. I couldnt make any sense of it, and just would walk in the direction he wanted. It was certainly a new behavior, but it didnt seem like a big deal. Now in the morning I cant find any direction he wants to walk in, unless its back to the apartment!

Now I wouldnt necessarily mind the extra hour of sleep, but Im worried that hell be more prone to misbehave and to have accidents. Back when we were in DC the first time around, I was taking him for short walks like this (but at my say-so, not his) and he had accidents constantly, which is why Im so anxious to leave him all day after barely ten minutes outside. It certainly has gotten colder in the last couple of weeks (around 50 in the mornings), so possibly hes reacting to the cold? The only thing is were from New England and Im seen him romp for way longer in way colder temperatures. He did turn six last month, can a distaste for cold settle in at this age for greyhounds? Nothing else out of the ordinary is happening. Its just so strange for me to see him not want to walk! Wish I had a doggie-translator.

I would tend to agree with Sambuca. Maybe he does not need such a long walk. I had this very same thing with my former two girls - both of them. They too did not want to walk so long in the am after I had had them a little while. I walked them about 20 minutes in the am after that, and they seemed happy with that. They did all their business and never had any accidents in the house. THat is my experience anyway. Good luck.