Elevated Liver Values Alt, Ast

Maverick had his annual appointment Saturday. I got his blood work back today. His AST was 81 (15-66) and ALT was 233 (12-118). His specific gravity (urine) was 1.011 (1.015 - 1.050), pH high at 8.5 and protein high at 1+. My vet is only concerned about the AST and ALT. He is raw fed (BARF, no veggies) and ate an hour before the appointment. (I didn't think and no one said to fast him, but I should know better.) He has been a touch loose lately, but he got the dead mouse the cat dragged in and I didn't think any more about it.

Temperament, activity level, attitude - all normal. He is well exercised and not a scrap of pudge on him.

She recommended a repeat test in a month. Anything I should be doing? I am in the throes of dealing with the one year anniversary of 3 pups dying and this bothers me more than I would have thought.

Ack!

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

If you really want to compare apples to apples, don't change a thing, other than I wouldn't feed him before the next test. The objective is to see if these results are pointing toward a trend. I was advised by a well known canine nutritionist to test 3 times, 30 days apart before making any decisions or taking any action.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I would redo the urine with a first morning specimen - there should not be any protein in the urine and you want the specific gravity higher which means a more concentrated sample.

As to the liver results, you might want to pick up denamarin which is a liver supplement (or milk thistle). Many dogs that are taking pb for seizures use supplements regularly to keep liver damage to a minimum. I would personally redo the lab tests after 2 weeks or so just to see if the results go back to normal.