Iams Green Bag Mini-Chunks Vs. Large Breed (Big Chunks)

Guest RMarie

Guest RMarie

Up until recently, we'd been buying the small bags of mini-chunks, as every time we purchased large bags of food in the past (not IAMS), James' gut would go haywire. We finally pulled the trigger and bought a big bag of the large breed formula as Costco last weekend. We started the new stuff a few days ago and are definitely seeing softer poo. It didn't occur to me that the formulas would be all that different, but comparing the guaranteed analyses, there are differences. Has anyone else experienced this? Is he likely to adjust or will we a mini-chunks family?

Although I have no input on the actual formula and differences, I'd just be happy being a mini-chunks family, LOL. That's what I feed. Personally, I don't like feeding the large breed formula of anything. Although greyhounds are a large dog, their heads and mouths are not overly large. So I don't consider them a large breed when it comes to food. And many of the large breed chunks are just the right size to choke them, because of that.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I am aware that the formulas between the two sizes are different (heavy investigating for ingredients for my allergic dog), at least they used to be 6 years ago when we were feeding it. From an allergic reaction standpoint, they were nearly identical - and actually different digestion of it as well if I remember correctly.

I find that the big breed Iams chunks still aren't big enough to produce any chewing action in order to clean teeth, which was the only reason we tried it.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest RMarie

I find that the big breed Iams chunks still aren't big enough to produce any chewing action in order to clean teeth, which was the only reason we tried it.

Yep, it's not the only reason we bought it, but I did have hopes that he'd actually chew the pieces. Nope. He still inhales it.

The original Iams and the large breed kibble are exactly the same size. There is a somewhat, very slight, ingredient and caloric change. I know, because, I just switched, due to BJ's no longer carrying the original.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds