Help! - Potty Training

Guest joviemom

Guest joviemom

I need some major help in the potty training area.

I have had my grey for almost a year and she has been potty trained pretty much from the beginning. Then, last Christmas she started having accidents in the house out of nowhere and very randomly (meaning once a month or so).

Well the past two weeks have been awful. It started beginning of last week we had some major storms and she messed in the house two days in a row (not surprised, she hates storms). Since then she has messed in the house (1 and 2) almost every day. (today twice!)

I literally have no idea what to do, my house is set up in a way that penning her off in an area (that isnt carpeted) is pretty difficult. The one option I do potentially have is my kitchen, I would just have to buy a long fence/gate thing.

Additional info on her:

- She cannot be crated, when I crate her she gets extreme anxiety and poops/pees almost instantly. I have tried training her out of it and I am to the point that I can crate her but shutting the door and sitting in the same room but I cannot leave yet.

- I come home every day for lunch to let her out

- I leash walk and she has always been on a very strict schedule and since this week has never had a problem with it

- She poops and pees in the exact same spot every time (and will sometime sneak off when I am home and do it there as well, its kind of a hidden area behind my kitchen table)

- I walk her for a long time every morning and even take her out once more before I leave for work and she still messes in the house when I am gone. (it seems like she does it right before I come home from work for lunch because its generally still warm. :sick

- When I first got her I didnt used to come home for lunch every day and she was completely fine. This pooping/peeing before the lunch hour started right after christmas, and this is literally the only time of day she ever messes in the house.

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated, I have never had this problem before with a dog and I honestly have no idea what to do!

(side note, I am doing a massive clean up in the "area" tonight with pee remover to make sure I get all the "smells" out)

Edited by joviemom

Guest kkaiser104

I might just block the area after a vet check and thorough cleaning. Teddi used to have a room he would pee in--never figured out why, but we've since moved from the house. I just shut the door.

Guest joviemom

I took her to the vet last friday, no problems.

I wasnt using an enzyme cleaner but I just bought one and cleaned the whole area

Vet did a urinalysis and fecal? If not, I would get those done.

Any changes in what you're feeding her, how much, when? How is her weight?

If all above checks out -- clean urinalysis and fecal, no feeding changes, weight is stable -- then I would suggest a couple of things:

1. Try to keep her out long enough for an extra poop in the morning. If necessary take her out twice. You know it's in there :lol , and you want it to happen outside .....

2. Inside, keep an eye on her so you can whisk her outside if she seems to be restless. And/or take her out a bit more often when you are home.

3. Consider having a trusted greyhound friend stop by mid-morning to take her out again. If she goes then and doesn't go indoors before you come home for lunch, that would be useful to know.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest joviemom

Yep we did a urinalysis and a fecal sample (I was thinking it might be giardia again but it came back clean.)

Thats an idea for the dog walker, I will ask my dog walker to walk her around 10 everyday next week to see what happens. I went to petco today and bought a fence thing that can block off my kitchen, So tomorrow I am going to do that as well to see if that helps.

Hopefully she just needs a little reset. If you've been having as many storms as we have (Rockford area), that can do a number on a dog's state of mind.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You can't give your dog the option of not going out because there is a storm. If it's time to go out, the dog MUST go out. And if that means you suck it up and put on your raincoat and leash walk her, that's what you have to do. I assure you, dogs don't get to just pass on the turnout yard at the kennel, and no dog has EVER melted in a rainstorm!

A previously housebroken (potty training is for children!) dog who starts to habitually soil in the house is USUALLY a medical issue. If your vet didn't check her blood too, you might consider that.

Otherwise, it's behavioral, and that's a LOT harder to deal with.

I'd get her back on a rigid schedule. Clean, clean, clean the area. And if it's only one are, consider putting her food dishes on that spot!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest joviemom

I do take her out during storms, I never make her hold it because of weather.

We did a full blood panel, urinalysis, and fecal sample. And everything came back fine.

I confined her today to my kitchen and she peed during the morning, no poop which is a first for the week.

Next week my neighbor is going to start walking her at 10am everyday to see if she still messes in the house.