Toe Amputation Need Best Tape Advice

Cosmo had to have a toe removed yesterday due to unresolvable swelling, cyst, and limping. His toe has been sent off for histology report. I have all supplies to start the rebandaging process except for good "tape". When we last had a hound with the same surgery (several years ago), all was good except for finding the right final tape. Either the tape was too sticky and hard to get off or not sticky enough and the bandage slipped. Any ideas on good tape for the final layer (over the vet wrap) that will work well with greyhound skin?

Thanks so much.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

If you have Elastikon--that's the tape that's too sticky--cut off a length and stick it briefly to your shirt or your pants leg so it will pick up a bit of lint. It should still stick well on a bandage, but you should be able to remove it without removing Cosmo's skin and hair, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If the Elastikon is mostly/entirely on top of the vetwrap, you can get it off just fine with bandage scissors. So, you could use Elastikon to top the vetwrap, and then 1/2" - 1" of white medical tape to anchor the whole banana to the leg so it doesn't slide down.

That said, I usually just leave the vetwrap as the outer layer for legs/feet. If dog tends to lick or pick at it, I put a people sock over the top and vetwrap that around the ankle. You need an IV bag or similar to keep it all dry outside regardless.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Surely your vet could give you some tape if you're taking care of the rebandaging yourself? Though I myself would want the vet checking it.

I highly recommend Pawz boots over the wrap for going outside. One size up (purple rather than normal blue) works well.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

If you have Elastikon--that's the tape that's too sticky--cut off a length and stick it briefly to your shirt or your pants leg so it will pick up a bit of lint. It should still stick well on a bandage, but you should be able to remove it without removing Cosmo's skin and hair, too.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

I am doing the rebandaging because it needs to be done daily initially and maybe every other day if there is not too much discharge for the next ten days. Ten trips to our great vet would be a bit much for our boy Cosmo who is still holding a grudge with the vet about a needle aspiration incident.

Thanks everyone for the good ideas.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I can't take credit for the idea. It's a suggestion SEGA makes to people using Elastikon in happy tail bandages.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest KennelMom

We just had Melody's toe amputated. Once the vet's surgical wrap came off, we left it unwrapped (same as last three toe amps we've been through). For outings or times it needs to be covered, I just use Glad press-n-seal from the kitchen....rip off enough to mold around the foot. Sticky enough to stay on for potty breaks, water proof and won't stick to the wound.

A thought on the cysts, in case they return. I don't know if this is the same thing, but Katie (a borzoi) came to us with interdigital cysts which resisted long courses of antibiotics of various kinds and prednisone, epsom salt soaks, and various other topicals. I did some searching online, and kept reading silica salts as a treatment. Picked them up at the natural food store, and give them to her on a maintenance basis, morning and evening. No cysts in over a year! :D Bonus: her formerly gooky eyes also cleared up. If I run out for more than a day, the eyes get goopy again, so I know it's doing something useful in her system!

Brilly's front inside toe comes off tomorrow, so this is all pretty important info to me. ( :wub: GT!) KennelMom, no bandaging sounds pretty good to me, since a broken toe bandaging fiasco led to permanent scarring from sores. I think I'll risk the not-wrapping, too.

A question for fans of Pawz: I bought some (the purple size), but the mouth of the bootie is so tight it means really having to maul the foot to get them on. Have I just got a bum package, or have you not found this to be a problem? I do have a bunch of IV bags, but I'm liking the moldable ease of KennelMom's press-n-seal ....

I hope all the toe-amp pups are feeling well and getting to healing!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Re Pawz -- I learned the right technique for spreading the mouth open with my fingers, so it's not too bad, but Beth's amp was a middle toe so it wasn't really an issue. I can see that for an inside toe it might not work as well.

Her wrap caused toe sores but then when the fill-in vet had us take it off a bit too soon the stitches ripped out in the time it took us to get home, and it was kind of a nightmare with a large deep area having to heal by granulation. We ended up doing crate rest with the foot unbandaged and then wrapping every single time she went out.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Thanks for the information about the silica salts. If the cyst reappears, I will certainly try them. The cyst was right near the problematic, very swollen toe so I am thinking that the cyst and toe issues were related.

Thanks to all your good avice, the first rebandaging went well and "the whole banana" is staying in place. Cosmo is walking better now just a couple days post surgery than he has in months. I too love the idea of no bandaging but Cosmo is a huge licker and chewer of anything on his body. I am going to try a happy medium though and leave the bandage off when I am home with him. I did this yesterday before I rewrapped.

So, you could use Elastikon to top the vetwrap, and then 1/2" - 1" of white medical tape to anchor the whole banana to the leg

Good luck!

Gee, never thought about a banana anchored to the leg...lol

:rofl

It solves the licking problem -- they've got something else to eat meanwhile.

:rofl

Glad Cosmo is doing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Re Pawz -- I learned the right technique for spreading the mouth open with my fingers, so it's not too bad, but Beth's amp was a middle toe so it wasn't really an issue. I can see that for an inside toe it might not work as well.

Her wrap caused toe sores but then when the fill-in vet had us take it off a bit too soon the stitches ripped out in the time it took us to get home, and it was kind of a nightmare with a large deep area having to heal by granulation. We ended up doing crate rest with the foot unbandaged and then wrapping every single time she went out.

Ugh! Poor girl - poor you! So, I just need to learn the secret of open sesame for the Pawz, but maybe not for this injury. Thanks!

Thanks for the information about the silica salts. If the cyst reappears, I will certainly try them. The cyst was right near the problematic, very swollen toe so I am thinking that the cyst and toe issues were related.

Thanks to all your good avice, the first rebandaging went well and "the whole banana" is staying in place. Cosmo is walking better now just a couple days post surgery than he has in months. I too love the idea of no bandaging but Cosmo is a huge licker and chewer of anything on his body. I am going to try a happy medium though and leave the bandage off when I am home with him. I did this yesterday before I rewrapped.

I hope all keeps going so well!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.