Limp

Hello! I haven't been to the forum much, but I have a health medical question that I would like to get peoples' thoughts on before heading to the vet.

Joker (Imperial Naples) is almost 5 and he's had a slight limp the last week, but was still running around the yard and not complaining. My husband called me today to say that he was whining and limping much more pronounced and when he felt along the offending leg, it seemed like he had a pain in the rear haunch muscle as he whined when he touched it.

Is this a typical injury? What should I expect for treatment?

We have a local vet that we trust to administer vaccines and such, but I also live near MSU Vet Teaching Hospital where he donates blood, should I just head there or is this something that the local vet can handle?

It doesn't seem like he's in constant pain, but it's something that is now impacting his ability to get around and needs to be addressed.

Thanks for any insight!

Not saying this to scare you, but...after losing a hound to Osteosarcoma, my position is that limp = x-rays, unless there's some immediately visible cause (corn, scraped foot, etc). It's just not something that I, personally, am willing to take a "wait and see" approach with. With our retired racers, arthritis can also be an issue, and that should also show on x-rays.

If he knows and is comfortable with the staff at the teaching hospital, I'd take him there.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest FawnFan

I agree with Valerie (vjgrey). I'd get him into the Vet as soon as possible for x-rays too. And speaking from experience, arthritis will show up on the x-rays (we just had arthritis diagnosed this way, along with osteosarcoma, aka bone cancer).

Good luck!

I would use a greyhound vet and get an consult with OSU Greyhound Wellness (but I've lost a hound to osteo so will go to the extreme with any limp now)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

A limp can be caused by many things. If he has been limping for several days, time to see a vet to help determine cause. An x-ray is a good idea unless your vet finds something, e.g. torn pad, broken toe, etc. Hope it's nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just got back and settled in. They did x-rays and did not find any bone-related issues (thank goodness!!). Based on their exam and the lack of anything on the x-ray, they believe it's some type of soft tissue injury to his muscle. He received Rimadyl, tramadol and strict rest for 8 weeks. It's going to be a tough time for a guy who loves to zoom around the yard and hates doing business on a leash! I'm so thankful it wasn't worse! Sorry for the delay in posting, we're juggling an almost one-year old human child too =)

Thanks again for the advice!!!

Is he better walking on a soft surface than on a hard one? If so, you could be looking at a corn. Check all the pads on the foot that's a problem. Sometimes, if you wet the pad, an anomaly may show better. Gently squeeze the pads from the sides and watch for a reaction.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

They checked his pads and toes and he yelped when they extended his hip and touched the muscle on the rear of his leg (right rear leg). This was the leg that he was not putting weight on. He did not yelp when they did the same things to the other side, so I think it probably was a muscle-related. We'll know for sure if it gets better with rest. Just so relieved that there wasn't any bone related issues.

Anyone ever heard of TPL? DaVid was limping and the surgeon said it probably was cancer, but it looks like it is TPL in his right rear knee. I am clueless.

Ok-I give up-not sure what tpl is. Did you misunderstand--acl tear? LP-luxating patella?

There's a surgical procedure to repair acl's called tplo-was that it?

Yes, that is it. The surgeon wrote down this web site: www.tploanswers.com She said his surface was at 33 degrees and it should be at 5 degrees. She is very concerned with his greyhound skin. This is not a Greyhound hospital, but it treats all breeds. She did say it was a ACL problem. Sorry I only thought it was a Tpl and not a Tplo. Do you think she should get in touch with OSU?

Yes, that is it. The surgeon wrote down this web site: www.tploanswers.com She said his surface was at 33 degrees and it should be at 5 degrees. She is very concerned with his greyhound skin. This is not a Greyhound hospital, but it treats all breeds. She did say it was a ACL problem. Sorry I only thought it was a Tpl and not a Tplo. Do you think she should get in touch with OSU?

I would first recommend taking rads of the effected limb. Did the Dr feel he has a tear or a partial tear of the acl?? Rads first :-)