Antlers Pros Cons

We have bought antlers for just over a year now. Some of our greys love them, others will chew occassionally. Our little Lucas runs to the antler first thing in the morning and it is the last thing he is playing with before bed each night. He has pearly white teeth.

I buy whole ones, medium to large size, not ones split in half. We get them from a company in Ontario, BioPaw, they are reasonably priced.

Good Luck!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

We bought our boy one too, because we thought he had a bully stick sensitivity and he has a chewing need.

The lady at the store said the ones that are split in half are a good 'introduction' to see if they like them, cuz it lets them get at the good stuff inside faster.

I'm not upset I bought it, because he does chew it occasionally. However, he doesn't care too much for it. We've had it for a four months or so, and it is still basically intact.. I think it totally depends on the dog. I think they're worth a try though.

Maybe start by buying a smaller split one to test the waters so you don't waste too much money though.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

One of my girls is obsessed with the antlers. The other two chew occasionally. Well worth the $$$

Edited to add: When the antlers get too small for my girls I give them to my neighbor for her small terrier and he loves them too!

Edited by june

Summit was super interested in the smell of them at the store but never touched the whole one I bought him, so I gave it away. Then I found ones that were like a "bud". They're round and one whole side is the exposed good stuff. Summit was really interested in that but could not figure out why it was so hard to chew. It sat around until we got Kili. She occasionally chews it. Antlers are, in short, not a big hit around here.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Ok.. I bought a split one. They now make them with chicken flavor on them. Lexie loves it!! I think the chicken flavor helps. She is carrying it around everywhere. I think she is afraid I will take it away...lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest sirsmom

They liked them at first and then wouldn't go near them again. I thought they were stale so i bought more after a long time and the same thing.

Are antlers like rawhides and bully sticks where it's better if you buy American? I've been thinking about antlers for Molly and Mason but don't want to buy them from PetCo or PetSmart (although PetSmart sells American). Molly is a voracious chewer so I'm afraid she'll break a tooth or crack the bone and ingest it. Thoughts??? TIA.

Oops...I didn't mean to hijack the thread...sorry! :(

Guest falconschild

We've gotten all the antlers in our house either from DH Allan's co-workers (who hunt deer in season) or from the game processors who have their site next door to Allan's work. Neither Huckleberry nor Monster has been gung-ho about them, really...though they both were far more interested in the relatively fresh ones from the processor that still had a tiny bit of blood on the bottoms of them where they were removed from the skull. I let them keep the antlers, to chew on if/when they feel the inclination, but my boys' mania seems to be for cow hooves and not deer antlers.

Guest Doggone

I'm going to try a small split one for Autumn; the only grooming she shies away from is tooth cleaning, possibly due to any pain resulting from 4 extractions soon after coming off the farm. If antlers can help her teeth stay clean, we can avoid/postpone that procedure under anesthesia. :)

Btw, she has zero interest in that everlasting chew thing, but does enjoy the plain rawhides (Costco), so maybe it has to be "animal-y"? :D

Edited by Doggone

I bought one for Toley, because he is a chewer, and he is not sure what to do with it. It does have the ends cut off, so he can see the marrow. He just carries it around in his mouth from bed to bed.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Are antlers like rawhides and bully sticks where it's better if you buy American? I've been thinking about antlers for Molly and Mason but don't want to buy them from PetCo or PetSmart (although PetSmart sells American). Molly is a voracious chewer so I'm afraid she'll break a tooth or crack the bone and ingest it. Thoughts??? TIA.

Oops...I didn't mean to hijack the thread...sorry! :(

No problem.Excellent question!

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest greyhound_bug

Out of 4 greyhounds, I think only 1 was ever interested in the antlers. Now we have 2 mutts, and they love them! They chew them constantly, play tug-o-war with them and carry them down from their beds when we all get up in the morning.