Weight Gain, How Can I Put Weight On My Grey!

Guest Samm88

Guest Samm88

Hey guys!

So, I've noticed over the past while that Kamm has lost a little weight, not a lot, but he doesn't need to lose anymore!

He is currently on two foods, Costco lam and rice,(very similar to NutriSource Lam and Rice) and TD Hills Prescription Dental food for his teeth. He loves the TD, so he gets half and half. I do know that the dental food doesn't do a whole lot for his weight and what not. I've started to cut down on the dental food for right now to see if that will make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Um, have you started by feeding him some more of what he already eats, or giving him an extra snack at midday? Seems the obvious step before you think you need to mess around with all sorts of additions, not that those are necessarily bad.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest wylie_coyote

We have been told to feed some right before bed. Because just like humans that will put extra weight on. But I agree why the drop is he more active now that it is warmer? so just needs a little extra?

Guest Samm88

Hes 3, I was thinking the drop came from him having the dental food, Its great for his teeth, but I was told its not a great food to put them on whole. Hes healthy and excercise routine has been the same. We just noticed he looked a little skinnier and I thought maybe it was the dental food catching up with him and seeing the effects of it, even though its wonderful for his teeth maybe its not beneficial in other way, if that makes sense?

I looked it up the t/d just now and it is only 254 calories a cup, which is quite on the low end for kibble (it is very high in fiber, so the lower calories makes sense). My Beth, for example is on Prescription I/D, and that is 379 calories per cup. So he may just need more of his other food or more food in general.

I am obviously not anti-Hills, but there are certainly many other and cheaper and probably more effective ways to keep his teeth clean than prescription food. Or I think some people feed a small amount of t/d as a treat without it being a major part of the diet. It just works by the kibble scrubbing their teeth as they chew.

It would make sense to consult with your vet since s/he's the one you're getting it from in the first place.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest Samm88

Thanks for your help! Thats what I figured! He gets 1 cup of each in the morning ( 2 cups in total) and the same at supper time. I noticed when we first got him that we fed him more then that, and it just seemed that he had to go to the bathroom more times per day, which makes sense, but didn't seem normal. I contacted someone and they informed me I was feeding him too much. So he was down to 4 cups a day, until we switched his food in September of last year.

Maybe cutting the TD down to one cup a day, instead of two would help?

Well he's going to poop a crapload (pun semi-intended) on a high-fiber food like t/d.

I think toothwise it would make more sense to get the t/d separately (not mixed with another food) and maybe at a separate time, perhaps as a bedtime snack. You wouldn't brush your teeth while eating cookies, right?

But I do think a consult about weight and feeding next time you see your vet would make sense.

Of course there are a zillion things you could add to his food for more calories and perhaps nutritional extras, but the real point would be to figure out a basic feeding regimen that works for him in terms of weight, poop, and all the other measures of health.

T/D is a bit of a scam if you ask me. All it really is is giant pieces of kibble. You'd get the same "cleaning" benefit from feeding Milk Bones.

However, if you don't mind the cost and the dog likes it, then go ahead with it. Just add some more of the regular kibble and see how he does!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest IrskasMom

T/D is a bit of a scam if you ask me. All it really is is giant pieces of kibble. You'd get the same "cleaning" benefit from feeding Milk Bones.

However, if you don't mind the cost and the dog likes it, then go ahead with it. Just add some more of the regular kibble and see how he does!

I so agree with you . It does nothing . It crumbles more and my Boy doesn't even like it.

Hill's Prescription t/d is one of the few products that have been awarded the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) Seal of Acceptance. VOHC has a strict requirement for controlled studies that show efficacy before they will award their Seal to a product. As far as I know, Milk Bones have never been scientifically tested for this purpose.

That said, I do believe that processed food and chews have less impact on dental health than daily tooth brushing.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Hill's Prescription t/d is one of the few products that have been awarded the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) Seal of Acceptance. VOHC has a strict requirement for controlled studies that show efficacy before they will award their Seal to a product. As far as I know, Milk Bones have never been scientifically tested for this purpose.

That said, I do believe that processed food and chews have less impact on dental health than daily tooth brushing.

Couldn't agree more-I have seen amazing results with pet's using T/D--and yes, the first line defense against periodontal disease is to brush daily.

Well he's going to poop a crapload (pun semi-intended) on a high-fiber food like t/d.

This is true. When we switched to a higher fiber food, much bigger and more frequent poops. After about a month, they leveled out and adjusted nicely. When I was trying to get Truman to fill out, we added more mix-ins and canned food. That was easier than rocking the boat with the dry food. Good luck!