Lethargy

Tracker is 6 now and always had decent energy. Starting ca 5 weeks ago, he started getting tired way faster on walks than normal. Not always, not every day, but there's been a trend. He's had a million false health alarm over the years, so I decided to give this 3 weeks and then do a thyroid panel at University of Michigan, the results of which took two weeks to come back (this was today). We did the same test last year, he was on the low end of normal, but the report said there was no reason to put him on a drug. This time, the thryroid levels have been slightly lower still, but again, the vet there said it's fine. My vet here in town next suggested to bring him in for a whole day to test him for Cushing's disease. This seems absurd to me. Lethargy could have many different reasons, so testing for Cushing's seems totally random to me, apart from being unnecessarily stressful for Tracker and apart from the fact he has none of the symptoms listed for Cushing's other than lethargy. She didn't even suggest and hasn't yet done a liver function test, CBC, urinalysis and tick test or anything of the sort. This has made me so wary that I set up an appointment next week with a different vet.

I feel that a liver function test, CBC, urinalysis and tick test might be of the order as a next step. Would people on this forum agree? Other suggestions?

Tracker has no other symptoms. He eats well and seems his normal self. He just loses momentum more frequently than normal.

I'm assuming he's had a thorough physical exam since this recent issue started? And in addition to a liver function test, has he just had a regular chemistry panel done? With the symptom of tiring quickly, I'd make sure to check out his heart well, and even consider taking a chest x-ray.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

What happened was that I was the one who requested the thyroid test without actually seeing the vet, because I knew he had been on the low side of normal a year ago. I figured let's do that test first and take it from there. So my vet hasn't seen him and, for that reason, not done a physical. That's why my vet's suggestion to test him for Cushing's seems particularly bizarre. He's scheduled for an exam at a different vet next week. He's had a liver function test and I believe a regular chemistry panel done for some other stuff less than a year ago, all normal.

I'll be sure to have his heart checked, and have an x-ray done.

Not sure why you would consider a "liver function test" (I'm assuming you mean a bike acids test). Does he have diarrhea-suspect of IBD? I agree that he should have an exam and routine bloods first. I think what your vet may have been thinking was to test him for Addison's disease (same test as cushings)-but, agree that he/she seems to be jumping a step here.

I would run a tick panel, chemistry, CBC and snap some rads to start.

Redo the chem panel and CBC. I'd do that + urinalysis + physical look/listen first and let the results of those tests guide your next steps.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Has anybody checked for tick borne disease? Lethargy was Phoenix's main symptom for babesia.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.