The Yelping Greyhound...

Guest TheModernMutt

Ben did it once at the vets'office, the vet was going to check his heart rate. I guess the stethoscope was too cold :lol Dave and I didn't react while our vet said he almost had a heart attack. It only happened one time so I'm not sure why he chose this moment for the GSOD.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 4 years later...

Hello Greytalkers. com

my new foster was said to have this weird noise she made when she was happy at the Lazy Grey Ranch. This is where the new dogs for our group are boarded until they can be vetted and cat tested.

well my new girl Daffy was fine until last night, she has started to lick her incision area, probably due to it being itchy. she didn't bother it upon return from surgery on Wednesday this week

and we are now 4 days post spay I applied some hydrocortisone topical to her belly avoiding the stitches. I have tried to cover her incision with a modified belly band- but that caused the GSOD to insue.

I took it off. but after a little while of her trying to lick again, I made her stand up, which had now become an issue of needing to put the leash on her to make her stand up. I put the belly band around her but loosely

she tolerated it, and walked very gingerly while on the leash outside to go potty.

now today this has continued and gotten more severe- so i came to see if this is a thing- because she is young she will be 2 in June- she arrived in Arizona from a KS farm.

SO my next call or email will be to the Animal behaviorist our group uses so she can help me help this scared dog.

any tips?? besides the desensitizing article i read in this thread. She is perfectly content to be enclosed in the x-pen. the scream started when i tried to look at her ears. She got me to stop trying to look at them

and has since used the scream more, so many times today it is concerning.

thanks for any help or tips for this new foster baby

Peggy in /tucson

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Are you sure she's not in pain? Could her incision be infected? Is it red or inflamed at all? Is she on any pain medications?

Honestly I would be consulting a vet before a behaviorist.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hi Neylas Mom,

Are you sure she's not in pain? Could her incision be infected? Is it red or inflamed at all? Is she on any pain medications?

the scream happens when we put on the e-collar, soft e collar, or the modified belly band. and if i touch her ears.

she was described as 'making a weird noise' at the ranch. before she come to foster home. we haven't done anything to her today, and there has been no GSOD

well actually i was laying with her in the xpen and brushing out more of her winter fur, she likes grooming

she was taking Tramadol until her last pill yesterday. she is not licking at it so much today- it is not red or even pink- it looks like it is healing well.

i think we have a special princess

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps