Mucous Poop! (Eww!)

Guest KatyC

Guest KatyC

For quite a while since we've had Peggy ( couple of months) I've often noticed mucuous around her poop. Today is the first time she's had diahorrea since we've had her and there was lots of it in there. Hopefully it will ease off for her, poor girl.

Even when her stools are firm and darkish they still usually look like they have some mucous around them. It's clear (sorry to be graphic, it's gross I know!)

Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas what it could be, or is it just what's normal for her do you think?

We are going to the vets tomorrow for a general overall check up, so I can ask him about it too.

She's due to be wormed around now, so we will get this from the vets tomorrow, but I have never seen any worms in her poops.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the grossness!

You'll see mucus with any type of irritation. So, worming would be a good idea. Might want to do a fecal although some worms often don't show up on the test. And there are many types of worms that you seldom or never see in the poop.

Hope she is better soonest!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just wanted to add that given the length of time it has gone on, you might also ask the vet about some Metronidazole to help heal the tummy. We went through months of this with Rocket and may; just may be on the way to resolving it after many de-wormings, canned food instead of kibble, and several rounds of Metronidazole.

Hope your pup if feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Fasave

Mucous can mean that there is not enough fiber in the diet. I was told by my vet that straight diarrhea means bland diet but when there is mucous, additional fiber may be needed. Worms could also be an issue. Otherwise is she feeling and acting okay?

Guest KatyC

Thanks everyone. Yeah she did zoomies when I got in from work yesterday and the diahorrea seems to have subsided, so hopefully she isn't feeling too bad!

I'll mention to the vet that I've been noticing it for a while and see what he says.

I had heard that about fibre too, what is a good way of adding fibre. At the moment she had a high quality dry kibble soaked in water (as she never drinks and just practically inhales her food!) she also has a few dollops of plain yoghurt. she gets fed morning and evening. Could we add some veggies in for fibre? She likes carrots.

Poor baby, hope it's nothing too bad and easy to sort out for her. She's turning into such a lovely girl, don't want her to be feeling poorly.

Thanks again.

See if you can find canned pumpkin to give her for fiber. Most dogs love the taste. (You want the actual pumpkin--not the heavily spiced pie filling.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest KatyC

The vet said it's probably a bit of colitis and to try her on a food with a different protein source food, so we'll try a salmon and potato when we next buy the bag.

I don't think we have canned pumpkin over here :(

Will try some veggies in there though in replacement for it.

Don't worry about finding canned pumpkin - get some porridge oats and just sprinkle about a tablespoonful of those, raw, on her food at each meal. Does the same job!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest KatyC

Don't worry about finding canned pumpkin - get some porridge oats and just sprinkle about a tablespoonful of those, raw, on her food at each meal. Does the same job!

Awesome thank you!