Growling And Lunging At Other Dogs

I need some help with my foster. First, she is 100% fine with me. Never growled at me. I can move her, touch her, startle her and no reaction. Her reaction is only towards dogs.

History-

I got her March 2nd. She was perfect on the haul, at Petco for cat testing and in my car on the drive home.

Fosters meet my dogs outside on neutral ground. My dogs are thrilled with all new dogs and I've never have a problem introducing them.

I had her meet Lena first outside. Both were muzzled and the foster was on a leash. I realize now that I should have had the foster approach Lena not the other way around.

Lena was all happy to meet her and was sniffing her. Foster growled and lunged at her making contact. I pulled her away without correcting her. I put Lena inside and skipped meeting my other pups. I assumed she was stressed as it had been a long day so I put her in a crate and put a blanket over it so the dogs would leave her alone.

The next day, Sunday, I had her meet Passion. Same results. I didn't have her meet the boys. They would have been way too excited about her.

Her spay was the next day and for the rest of the week, she rested in the crate. She's perfect in the crate. She never makes a peep, no whining, barking etc.

After her week of rest after her spay, I started letting her mingle with my pups (all muzzled) for alittle bit each day. I was still not allowing her outside with them.

She growled any time a dog got close to her (either standing or laying down) so I would move her away to a dog bed on the other side of the room or baby gate her in another room so she could still watch what was going on and see the other dogs.

Every day, I had her out in the living room with my dogs for a little bit. She was no longer growling if standing but would still growl if laying down. She would also jump up, lunge and make contact with another dog if they were close. I have not been able to figure out what the trigger is- too close or something else (maybe she's just a bitch)???

Last week, I realized I had made a mistake. I was trying to correct her when she growled by making a loud "ah". She got to the point where she would growl and then look at me waiting for my correction. Ok, so she trained me and that didn't work. LOL

Fast foward to this week-

Very little growling while laying down. She wants to be with my dogs. She follows them around now. I allow her outside with them and I have no worries about her being out there with them. She doesn't want to crate anymore. She shredded a dog bed and then the blankets that replaced the bed. I had a few things on top of the crate, she pulled them into the crate and shredded. I removed the crap on top of the crate and gave her a kong when I left for work yesterday. Came home, she was barking and whining and had shredded the blanket. Last night when we went to bed, I crated her. After an hour, I couldn't stand the whining (she's never whined at night before) so I left her loose in the livingroom. She didn't make a peep and was perfect.

Yesterday after work, she wanted to lay down so bad but another dog was on the bed. She circled the bed 3 times (maybe thinking he would move?) and finally laid down next to him. I was shocked that she laid down and was actually touching him. He didn't care but I wasn't sure how long before she growled. It was about 5 seconds. He moved and she growled. I moved her to another bed away from the dogs.

Here's the pic- she's in the back and rested her head on him for a few seconds.

481394_10151284381787583_525548168_n.jpg

I'm fine with her growling- she's communicating. I just can't figure out what she is trying to say. How do I figure out what she is saying? I've been reading articles on Whole Dog Journal (Thanks Jen for posting articles in other treads). I can't find anything for this situation.

Also is there a way to get her ok with laying close to other dogs? I thought about giving her a treat each time she lays without growling but then my dogs will get too excited and I suspect that will make her growl even more.

I'm not willing to have her go into a home if she is still lunging and making contact with other dogs. Yes, she could be an only dog but what happens when that family wants to add a 2nd?

Here's what I need help with- her being ok with other dogs and not lunging at them. Maybe time will resolve it?

Suggestions?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

She reminds me of a minor version of the Zoe-bird. We can chat in more detail over FB, but in general, can you keep her separated by a baby gate? We did that for months and never had the dogs interact without supervision. Although, there was some episodes of fence fighting with Salem. Also, we created a special bed just for Zoe. It was surrounded on almost all sides by some sort of barrier so you couldn't sneak up on her or casually walk by without her noticing well ahead of time. I'll go dig up that picture. That helped a lot. The twins knew to leave her alone and it seemed to help her settle down.

I wonder if a lot of what you are seeing is bravado trying to establish her spot in the new group of dogs? Zoe (again) came to us emotionally "amped" defensive/reactive and always on edge. We had to give her space to simply relax a bit before we could start interacting in a meaningful way. I'm thinking let your foster hang out with you just have her gated separate from the other dogs for a while so she can relax and not feel the need to try out social options with all the new dogs.

There is always melatonin or xanax to help... proud mom to a dog on prozac.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Thanks for the reply Colleen.

She has seeked out a dog bed that is in the corner.

But like the pic I posted, she wanted to lay by him. I let her lay there until she growled, then I moved her to another bed.

I will try like you suggested, keep her in another area of the livingroom or the corner.

I'm wondering if level 1 obedience would be helpful.

I have not taken her out in public yet. I want her to get comfortable in my house before I have her interact with other dogs outside of my home. Just trying to take things slow with her. She will be fine for hours and then snap and then be fine again. Just wish I could figure out what the trigger is.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Some times it just takes time for them to be able to trust all the other dogs. Coming into a home with a lot of dogs can be stressful for some dogs. My Pistol and Joey will still growl at the other dogs if they get too close to them or touch them when they are sleeping. They don't lunge, just a small growl to let the dog know they are too close. Bebe is the one I have to watch because she will jump up and snap. This has gotten worse as she's gotten older. She's almost 13 and just grouchy these days.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Some times it just takes time for them to be able to trust all the other dogs. Coming into a home with a lot of dogs can be stressful for some dogs. My Pistol and Joey will still growl at the other dogs if they get too close to them or touch them when they are sleeping. They don't lunge, just a small growl to let the dog know they are too close. Bebe is the one I have to watch because she will jump up and snap. This has gotten worse as she's gotten older. She's almost 13 and just grouchy these days.

Passion is like Bebe- crabby old bitch :lol

She got Sparks 4 years ago in the leg. He was minding his own business and walked just a tad too close to her and she struck him like a snake.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

She sounds like Bebe! Bebe will lay on her bed and if a dog walks by too close too her, she goes for their ankles! This is new for her, she used to just growl. She's healthy as a horse so it's nothing medical, just grouchy old lady stuff I guess.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sounds like she has improved a lot already. Honestly? I'd keep an eye on her and keep those muzzles on, and just leave her be. Maybe a gentle but firm "Eaaaaaaaasy" if she is lying with someone and they move, and a lighter "Good girl!" if she is lying with someone without snarking.

Zema was very defensive at strange dogs' approach. It took her awhile to get to know to an individual dog, and she did not like being mobbed by more than one. She was actually remarkably good with your pups when you guys would stop by.

Gidget will sometimes growl if whoever she's lying with moves. That's all she does -- "Hey! I'm here! Don't roll over on me!" She can also be a little growly if she feels overwhelmed -- several dogs sniffing her up all at once. Again, just her "Gimme a little space!" voice, no real anger or serious upset behind it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another perfect night.

This week has been stair teaching and since my room is in the attic, we have been hanging out there after work.

She is almost perfect on the stairs, another day or so and she will be a pro.

She was so good last night that I decided to let her sleep in my room, muzzled on a dog bed next to my bed. She was perfect.

Jey- I will keep her muzzled, no worries.

I'm so darn proud of her.

Now I just have to start taking her out in public to see how she reacts.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I had a couple hounds come over this weekend to see how she would react. She was perfect :yay

Took her to my friends pet store Fri after work. She enjoyed the car ride with Passion. They both got treats there. We didn't get to interact with any other dogs but she did great for her first outing.

She sleeps right next to my bed at night. She doesn't make a peep and sleeps all night. She's a very good girl.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

That's great, Kari! So it really could be she just needs some time to get to know others and settle in. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.