When we're out walking and see another dog Molly barks at the other dog. I, of course, correct her immediately. When we're walking by ourselves without Mason she's silent; no barking or anything. She's very friendly with the other dogs.

My current theory is that she's protecting Mason (who's 20 pounds heavier than her :rolleyes: ).

Any ideas on why she does it and/or how to stop it. For some reason people don't love a 75-pound dog barking at their dog. ;) Truth be told, I don't love it either. FWIW: She doesn't do it at M and G's or at the dog park.

From your past posts, I wonder if shes resource guarding Mason. If possible, walk with someone else and when she reacts, separate her and Mason. When shes calm again, bring Mason back. If that works, keep doing that, she'll eventually learn that her "treasure" disappears whenever shes barking.

Peggy will do that sometimes if the other dog is not acting right, especially if it is unsure of itself. If it was a human we'd probably call him 'shifty'.

You have to be careful in those situations lest the other dog gets fearful and thinks it needs to fight. I just redirect Peggy onto something else.

Larry does exactly the same thing, and literally learned it from Nube (Larry was all-breed friendly when we got him, walking with NON-breed friendly Nube got him this way!). He goes NUTS when he sees another dog. I've tried redirection, cookies before he starts going nuts and nothing really has helped. He's ONLY like that when we are out walking -- M&G and ANYPLACE else he is FINE. :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest BiancasMom

She is feeling threatened by the other dogs (even if it appears they aren't "doing' anything to her....they are in her presence and that is enough). Usually the "lower" members of the pack sound the alarm. Maybe she feels like more of a pack with Mason around and therefore is doing her "duty?" I wouldn't correct her when she is just communicating. I would give her more distance from other dogs. The trick is to give the distance BEFORE she voices her opinion so it appears it is your idea, not hers. Or just walk her separately if she seems more comfortable that way. :)

Guest Giselle

I've never heard of "sounding the alarm" in domestic dogs before. "Sounding the alarm" is usually prey behavior. It's something you'd find in squirrels or ravens, not dogs. Furthermore, dogs are not wolves. Dogs prefer to live as singletons or pairs, not packs. Many ethological studies on the behavior of free-ranging dogs have clearly demonstrated this.

So, why is Molly selectively reactive? Two dogs = more excitement than 1 dog. When Molly is by herself, it's boring. When Molly is with Mason, it's like "OH Boy! Mason is getting a little excited, and now I'm getting more excited too!" The two dogs can feed off each other and the overall level of arousal increases until Molly starts to show reactive behavior. The key is to teach calm behavior and to reward it before you run into arousing situations. Search this forum on teaching eye contact and/or the Look at That game, both of which are most effective if taught using shaping.