My 12-year-old, Zola, went in for a dental yesterday. In the routine course of pre-op examination, the vet found an arrhythmia in Zola's heart. No murmur was detected. Zola has been to the vet regularly, including two weeks ago, and they've never heard this before. They did X-rays, an EKG and an abdominal ultrasound, with the following results:

1. The arrhythmia is ventricular; she has premature ventricular contraction.

2. Her heart rate was ~200 bpm.

3. The ultrasound revealed a homogeneous spleen (which was an area of possible concern).

4. Her heart and spleen are both on the large end of normal for greyhounds.

The vet has prescribed sotalol, and no strenuous activity. My questions are:

1. Is an echo indicated? What will it tell me?

2. Are there any specific questions I should be asking my vet?

I am definitely talking to vet and cardiologist and am not looking to supplant that here, am just interested in hearing anyone else's experiences with this.

Thank you,

Vanitha

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

No experience, but lots of good thoughts for you and Zola, that you get the answers you need and that Zola's issues are treatable. :hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I have PVC's myself. There seems to be two schools of thought on human PVC's -- the "OMG, let's medicate" and the "it's okay, no really big deal". My doctor and cardiologist are of the 2nd school of thought, although I was thoroughly tested just in case. Other than the PVC's, my heart is normal and, over time, they have actually decreased tremendously. Mine was brought on originally by stress (losing father, father-in-law and both dogs in the space of about 2 months). Perhaps the case could be the same here?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I would do the echo, just based on my experience over the last few months with Legs. It can't hurt, and may give you some more info about what is causing Zola's arrhythmia. Legs ended up having DCM, even though I've been taking him to vets for various related issues for YEARS and none of them ever noticed anything abnormal when they listened to his heart. Anyway, what you find out from the echo may help the cardiologist figure out the best treatment plan for Zola. Hopefully it is something very easily controlled with meds!

I would definitely recommend the echo. Arrhythmias can be triggered by abnormalities in the heart itself, and the only way to detect that would be an echo. Having complete information will allow you to determine if there's anything else going on, and whether any other treatment or medications are necessary.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg