Corns - Hulling Question

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

I had Vivie's corns hulled last week. I thought they did it wrong, as she came home in bandages. But upon further inspection, there was only a teensy bit of bleeding. I think she did it right, but it was certainly harder on Vivie than I anticipated.

It's been a week now. And the little holes left from removing the corn are closed in. But she's really limping on those paws. She never really limped *that* much when she had the full corns. Why would her limping be worse now? She straight up won't use one or both of her legs sometimes.

Is limping a week after hulling normal? Am I wrong to expect pain free pads for at least a little while?

I don't have a corn dog but from what I've heard... she should not be worse than before the hulling.

Here's an article on hulling from Grassmere. At the end, it says there should be no bleeding if done correctly.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Jack had his corns hulled many times, and there was never any bleeding. The vet did it, and so did I.

Sometimes hulling just doesn't give them all that much relief...other times it's miraculous.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Lexie gets one hulled and there were never any bandages. I don't think there should be any bleeding. Lexie usually gets relief right away, just maybe some soreness for one day after. Although a few times she didn't get any relief but she wasn't worse.

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Could they have cut them out / dug around into good tissue rather than hulling? That would account for some bleeding and soreness.

One of Zema's had a teensy stalk at the bottom that had to be snipped, but that made only the smallest pinprick of blood and didn't make her sore. If it was a deep corn, sometimes dry, prickly grass would bother her for a day or two. Literally a day or two, no more.

Hope your pupper is better soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lanielovesgreys

Ug. I don't want to call out my vet, and I think looking back at pictures it's really difficult to tell if excess tissue was removed. It looks like a damp version of the grassmere link. But she is more sore than she should be. One of the corns was pretty big.

I'm going to up her tramadol a bit and put on her booties for a bit.