Corn?

Guest AceyGrey

Guest AceyGrey

This may sound stupid, but how do I know if Ace has a corn.

I read an article from our local kennel and decided to check his paws.

I think he may have the beginning of one, but how will I know if it definitely is?

All the pictures on google are off really developed bad corns.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid after reading the article and doing some research online but some advice on what to look for or corn prevention would be helpful.

Thank you

Guest DeniseL

Limping on hard surfaces and not on grass or carpet. Miami's corns start as a small black dot. It almost looks like a pinhead sized hole. Before I was familiar with his corns, I just thought he has stepped on a shard of glass or something.

Does your hounds have any prior injury/gait issues/arthritis that may put more pressure on certain paws?

Guest AceyGrey

Limping on hard surfaces and not on grass or carpet. Miami's corns start as a small black dot. It almost looks like a pinhead sized hole. Before I was familiar with his corns, I just thought he has stepped on a shard of glass or something.

Does your hounds have any prior injury/gait issues/arthritis that may put more pressure on certain paws?

Not that I'm aware of, he's only 3 and we've only had him 7 months. There was no information about prior injury from the kennels.

I've been checking for limping after my Dad said he limped after running around in the garden the other day, but can't see any sign of limping.

I'm worried about a corn because he has a small indent on the pad of one of his front toes and the area around it, is a light grey colour.

If you wet the pad, it should also show up better.

I'll try that, thank you. Will it go a different colour, or protrude?

Guest AceyGrey

Here's a picture, I've squeezed the toe and he's not bothered by it, it doesn't feel hard at all.

My iphone camera isn't the best, but I think it's obvious which toe I'm a tad worried about

041_zps3604f3a7.jpg

Looks like the beginnings of a corn to me. If you try and soften that pad up with some bag balm or something like that, you may be able to get it out while it is small.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest AceyGrey

Looks like the beginnings of a corn to me. If you try and soften that pad up with some bag balm or something like that, you may be able to get it out while it is small.

Oh do you think so?

How do I go about softening it up?

I haven't a clue what I'm doing so could you please explain what I should do?

I think it's a corn also. Freddy started limping on rough sidewalks and harder surfaces which is what gave us the clue. We applied bag balm at night and put a baby sock on to moisten it up for a few days. After that you could see the outlines of the corn better and then we used a small amount of duct tape over the corn. We replaced the duct tape a few times when it would fall off and over the course of 3-4 weeks the corn vanished and we haven't seen it since. I know duct tape doesn't work for some but we had great luck with it as long as we were persistent. There's a lot of info. on this forum that I found helpful with corns, just try a few different things and hopefully something works for you. Good luck!

Guest AceyGrey

I think it's a corn also. Freddy started limping on rough sidewalks and harder surfaces which is what gave us the clue. We applied bag balm at night and put a baby sock on to moisten it up for a few days. After that you could see the outlines of the corn better and then we used a small amount of duct tape over the corn. We replaced the duct tape a few times when it would fall off and over the course of 3-4 weeks the corn vanished and we haven't seen it since. I know duct tape doesn't work for some but we had great luck with it as long as we were persistent. There's a lot of info. on this forum that I found helpful with corns, just try a few different things and hopefully something works for you. Good luck!

Thanks for this.

What kind of balm should I use?

I really want to try and get rid of this before it really takes hold.

Guest DeniseL

Welcome to the corn club!! The good news is that there are various treatments to try, including some relatively new ones that have been very effective. I got rid of Miami's corns completely with Jack's Gel. I posted the case study in a thread a while back....what ever treatment you decide on, the best thing is to start early and be consistent. Corns can be frustrating, but manageable.

If you are on facebook, there is a great group called Greyhounds with Corns, where lots of different treatments are discussed :)

Guest AceyGrey

Welcome to the corn club!! The good news is that there are various treatments to try, including some relatively new ones that have been very effective. I got rid of Miami's corns completely with Jack's Gel. I posted the case study in a thread a while back....what ever treatment you decide on, the best thing is to start early and be consistent. Corns can be frustrating, but manageable.

If you are on facebook, there is a great group called Greyhounds with Corns, where lots of different treatments are discussed :)

I've been looking at various threads and looked on the group, but most of the treatments seem to in the USA and I'm in the UK. I've found a few on Amazon though.

I'm going to take him to the kennels where they're full of knowledge and speak to them about treatments.

I've read so much today I have corn information overload haha.

Guest DeniseL

Great! Good luck and keep us posted!! I just did tons of research and finally found what worked for us. You will do the same, I'm sure :)

Looks like a corn to me too - they start flat like that, then start to pop out more as time goes by. I use vitamin e oil or badger foot balm (which smells nice) on my kids, who both are corndogs. once the corn starts to pop out a little more, your vet or vet tech can hull it - or if you are brave, you can get a dental elevator on e-bay for not very much ( 5-8 bucks or so) and hull it yourself. There is a good site that shows how to do it - I am sure someone will refer to it in this thread - I cannot recall the site name. You might want to have your vet take a look for this first time and watch them do it before trying yourself, should it reoccur.

Edited by TINMANPDX

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone,

I think my greyhound Leyton has a corn too. First he started limping in May 2012 and I found a dark spot on his toe and I started putting very greasy/oily cream with marigold. After a month or so he stopped limping and I didn't worry about this because of other health problems we were facing with.

The photo below shows dark spot on his toe in May.

leyton-taca.jpg

But 2 weeks ago he started limping again, I noticed that he prefers soft ground like grass. Now he doesnt want to walk anywhere, if he is standing, he always lifts his leg and if I put pressure on his toe, he immediately pulls away his leg.

Here are some pictures of his toe now.

img11782.jpg

img11792.jpg

img1180.jpg

img1181.jpg

If it is a corn it is still inside and there is no way of hulling it out, he is also very sensitive and he won't allow it. On Friday we are going to see his vet, Leyton is also treated with corticosteroids because of inflammation in his brain.

I would really appreciate your opinion. Here in my country (Slovenia) nobody who has retired greyhounds ever mentioned corns.

Nina

That looks like it *was* a corn but the outer part fell off. Might be worth a little gentle manipulation (from the outside) to see if there might be a foreign body in there, that caused the corn to begin with.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That looks like it *was* a corn but the outer part fell off. Might be worth a little gentle manipulation (from the outside) to see if there might be a foreign body in there, that caused the corn to begin with.

Yep, my thoughts as well.

Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

For the time being you may want to try a therapaw boot which will help alleviate the pain before it is hull-able and after hulling until fully healed. We use one for our boy and it really helps - we put a toddler sock on his foot first, then the boot. http://www.therapaw.com/

Edited by TINMANPDX

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I don't know, to me the OP's photo just looks like a tiny little puncture in the toe pad from stepping on a sharp bit of gravel or whatever. The dog isn't limping or showing any signs of discomfort. You can make yourself crazy micro-inspecting a hound's pads looking for a problem when there isn't any, or reading descriptions of medical problems and then thinking you have them. I would just wait -- I bet that little dit is just going to go away.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I don't know, to me the OP's photo just looks like a tiny little puncture in the toe pad from stepping on a sharp bit of gravel or whatever. The dog isn't limping or showing any signs of discomfort. You can make yourself crazy micro-inspecting a hound's pads looking for a problem when there isn't any, or reading descriptions of medical problems and then thinking you have them. I would just wait -- I bet that little dit is just going to go away.

Gotta agree here-I'm not convinced that your dealing with a corn.