Tense/twitchy Back

RedHead

This isn't really a serious health problem and I hope it is okay asking here because it is for Karma, my non-grey. Karma is a rescue and has always been kind of tense/timid, although she is much better. She will literally tense up if you just look at her sometimes though and she always has a very tense back. With even minor pressure she will arch it down and it twitches all the way down when you rub your fingers lightly down her spine. I was just wondering how normal this is (she is older, she'll be 11 this year) and if there is anything I can do to help.

I do massage her back by lightly rubbing my fingers along her spine and gently rubbing/holding the areas that are twitchy. She seems to respond to this, she will actually straighten her back and lay down in a way that flattens it out. But...I guess I was just wondering if there are any specific "at home" massage techniques, or "pressure spots" that would help in getting rid of some of the tenseness.

I don't know any massage techniques or anything, but Robin is 11 and has the twitchy back thing. In his case though, it is a sign of pain. We went to the vet yesterday and he said that Robin has pain all up his spine. His arthritis has moved up in there. He described it as Robin shying away from the pressure of your hand in that area. I'm not saying that's what is up with karma, but it is something to keep in mind.

I don't know any massage techniques or anything, but Robin is 11 and has the twitchy back thing. In his case though, it is a sign of pain. We went to the vet yesterday and he said that Robin has pain all up his spine. His arthritis has moved up in there. He described it as Robin shying away from the pressure of your hand in that area. I'm not saying that's what is up with karma, but it is something to keep in mind.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Could be pain but could also be some tension.

Rockingship who used to post here described a technique that went something like this:

- Straddle the dog (both of you facing forward). You can do it with the dog lying down but a little harder.

- Starting just in front of the shoulder, slowly and gently grab up a fistful of loose skin along but just to one side of the spine. Let it go.

- Now do the other side.

- Work your way down the back in the same fashion.

At the end of this, you may have a dog who is no longer standing up, because s/he's so relaxed s/he fell asleep :) . Or you may have a dog who will stand there for quite some time, hoping you'll keep doing it forever and ever. It's always seemed to feel good to my dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sid has the twitchy spine thing and in his case, too, it is a sign of pain. He gets a lot of cramping due to being a tripod for more than five years. I massage him pretty much as you describe and it seems to help him.

Thanks for posting the technique from Rockingship, Jey. I'm going to try that with Sid, too.

He's having a particularly bad time right now. Just got back from the vet, in fact, who says he is in a state of heightened awareness to pain and while he doesn't appear to have anything major going on, Sid feels that there is and isn't walking well. He is a very experienced greyhound vet who works at the track as well as in general practice with retired dogs of all ages, so I do trust what he says, though obviously we'll investigate further if we feel it necessary when we go back.

I wonder if something similar might be going on with Karma - not necessarily pain, but a heightened tension-in-the-back response to generalised anxiety? Might it be worth working on that, perhaps with Adaptil or anxiety reducing strategies/meds?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

There are some pretty good books on canine massage that your local library might have in stock. :) I sometimes massage Peyton if he seems stiff/sore. I use a much softer pressure than I would on a human and I try to follow the direction of his fur. I use a mix of circular motions and just gently applying pressure all the way down his spine/the limb. He chatters like crazy when I start and then falls asleep!

Thanks for the advice :) I am hoping it isn't pain in her back, I never thought of that. If it was a painful back, would I expect to see any other signs? She doesn't show any signs of arthritis, and can still easily clear fences or jumps on hikes and can run just as far as she always could with no stiffness/soreness at all. Does this still mean she could have a sore back?

Karma is happy most of the time, she is just the type of dog that worries a lot, scrunches up her face, shivers, etc. when she is excited or nervous. Since that is her personality I thought it was just knots in her back from tensing up.

I just found some really good videos online for massage. She is so sensitive to touch on her back and these videos have very gentle techniques to "warm up" the muscles before really working on the sensitive areas. I just tried it on Teague and he fell asleep with his tongue out :P I'll give it a go on Karma. Lucky pups getting massages every night!

It may only be knots in her back, but trust me, that can cause pain. Might not be anything too serious like arthritis or compressed discs, but muscles cramps can really hurt. If she's got a twitchy back and is sensitive to touch on her back, personally I'd be suspicious that there was some pain there.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop