Canine Uti?

Guest lilpnai09

Guest lilpnai09

Hi everyone! I just wanted to get an opinion on the situation.

My grey Havoc hadn't been acting like himself lately. He had been peeing a lot in the house and straining to pee, not eating or drinking as much as he normally does and he had been pretty quiet. I brought him to the vet and gave them a urine sample and she said there is a little blood in the urine so she gave me some antibiotics to help clear up the UTI (This was on Saturday). I had asked how likely would it be that it was a stone or some other cause other than the UTI but she said its most likely a UTI. He had lost weight but he has an appetite so I've changed his diet so he's eating the wet food more than the kibble for now mixed with water. How long is it before I can expect him to be bouncing back or rather, how long before I start thinking it's not a UTI and it's actually something else and I need to do more diagnostics on him to rule out stones or whatever? His blood work a couple of weeks ago was perfect but again, that was 2 weeks before he had the symptoms. She didn't run any other tests. He has only been on the antibiotics since Saturday so maybe it's a little early to see any marked improvement. The vet who I usually go to left the practice so the vet I'm seeing right now doesn't really know Havoc very well and I just wanted to get another person's thoughts on the situation being that I've never had a dog with a UTI before and maybe get some advice on what else I can do. Thanks!

Give him all the water he wants, and extra water in his food is fine. Take him out as often as necessary--perhaps even more than he asks for. You don't want him having to "hold it" for long periods, and getting him outside frequently will help stop the peeing in the house.

My Sam's on antibiotics for a UTI. This Thursday will be two weeks, and the vet wants him on antibiotics for another two weeks if his stomach will tolerate it because it can take a while to clear up this sort of infection. If Havoc is eating, drinking, and peeing, you're on the right track--especially as long as he's having to strain to pee.

ETA: If it was a stone, I think the vet would have seen crystals in his urine. I'd probably do the whole two weeks on antibiotics (although I'll try four weeks with Sam), then take another urine sample in.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

No need to worry yet. It hasn't been long enough. And frankly, picking the RIGHT antibiotic the first time isn't always possible. If it's not cleared up by the time the antibiotics are gone, INSIST on a culture.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It is such a no win situation for the vet sometimes. Recently we had a youngish doodle type dog come in with appeared to be a uti but, to rule out underlying conditions the Dr did snap an abdominal radiograph and cultured the urine. Wow, did we get a tongue lashing for running "unnecessary tests"! I don't necessarily disagree with your vet for trying antibiotics as a first line treatment but, you need to understand that it might not be the correct antibiotic (to target the offending bacteria) AND it might not be a uti. The blood may be from the kidneys, may have a stone or even prostatic woes. I would give it just another day or two if your not seeing improvement then, you need to ring your vet and discuss further diagnostics.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you all know that Havoc succumbed to prostate cancer this afternoon. My roommate will most likely post something in Remembrance in the days to follow. Havoc was the best of dogs & the best of friends. Although he will be sorely & deeply missed, I know he's moved on to bigger & better things. One day, we'll catch back up with him & he'll allow us slow, boring humans to share in his crazy adventures once more.

I love you, Hav.

Heep

Oh no. I'm so sorry for your and your roommate's loss.

Godspeed, Havoc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no, probably the last thing that anyone was hoping or expecting. I'm so sorry. :weep Please accept my condolences.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).