Diet Crossroads

deboosh

When we adopted our girl in December, we tried her on a couple of commercial foods to clear up her diarrhea but neither helped. To be fair, we probably didn't give it enough time for her system to get used to it, and after hearing about the benefits of a raw diet, we started her on it. The diarrhea cleared up after her first meal, and she's now been on it for 6 weeks, but quite frankly, we're finding the cost to be an issue, in spite of looking for specials. It's just not a manageable option for us long-term.

My question is, would it be acceptable to feed one meal raw, and the other a commercial food? I don't want to upset her system, but we need a more economical way to feed her.

Or would she adjust better to a home cooked diet and commerical mixture, eg., I've read that some people feed kibble and then mix it with a home cooked "stew". I've haven't looked into the pros/cons of home cooked yet.

I've also read that feeding only kibble is perfectly fine and nutritionally complete, however I think it would be pretty monotonous to have to eat the same thing meal after meal.

I'm not really sure what to try my girlie on now. Because she has tummy sensitivities, what's an acceptable time frame to acclimate her, before looking at alternatives? Advice/experience welcome and very much appreciated!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest widowcali

Widow has major intestinal issues. I tried everything (except RAW). I did the cheap dog food. I did the expensive dog food. I tried only dry food. I tried dry food with pumpkin and yogurt. I tried boiled chicken and rice. I tried supplements.

After 2 years of poor Widow looking like a war refugee I finally met up with someone who had a similar problem. He told me to try grain free.

Now, it doesn't matter what brand I buy, Widow does fine if she is eating a grain free food. Which helps, because one brand may be on sale at one of the pet food stores or I may have a coupon that saves me a few bucks. I still add yogurt, for the occasional flatulence. But I only need to add pumpkin or supplements if we are traveling (which always irritates the girls tummies). I do mix in just a wee bit of can to hide their glucosomine and msm supplements (they are both seniors, so they have a bit of arthritis). But that is it.

Try grain free (Wellness Core, Earthborn Holistic, Natures Recipe, and Halo all have grain free versions). If you go online and "like" those pages on facebook or join their mailing list, you will get very nice coupons every month.

my dogs never get bored with their kibble and water. day after day they are happy as can be eating the same stuff. i should be so lucky!

the only dog i had who was a picky eater was a saluki. he learned...eventually- that was after i learned that he was going to eat- eventually. i then changed him over to plain dry kibble(salukis don't need soaked food) and that was it. after that, until i adopted greys it was dry kibble only for my dogs. i boarded one of my salukis- he wouldn't eat the moist food! the only special thing i give my dogs is over cooked white rice w/ a tad of ground beef when their guts are upset.

since your dog is just off the track, it's quite possible that her gut is loaded w/ bacteria- flagyl will be your best friend. do talk to your vet and bring in a stool sample. often it's bacteria not food problems.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest 2greys2cats

You could do kibble for every meal and to make it less "monotonous" do add-ins. (i.e. cooked veggies, rice, cooked meats- and just vary it throughout the week). That's what we do for our girl. Our boy he has to have plain kibble (with occasional cooked veggies) because he has a sensitive system. Monotonous or not, that's what works for him. I commend you for wanting to do the best for your dog, but you have to do what's affordable. Kibble as the base (I suggest a limited ingredient diet such as Natural Balance- which also has grain free) with occasional add-ins is perfectly fine. Good luck!

Edited by 2greys2cats

I am in a similar situation as you. Teague also does NOT do well on most commercial foods I have tried...it isn't worms, or bacteria, he just doesn't do well on cooked/rendered fats. I would do all raw if I could, but when I am low on supplies it gets expensive and I do a mix of kibble/raw as well as some homecooked. If I keep things at least 60% raw it seems to keep his system in check.

Where are you getting your food from? There are a ton of co-ops in Toronto with great deals. Have you checked into any raw supplier groups?

Guest FinnsMom

I get the food for Finn from these guys. http://www.raw4dogs.ca/

They are nice and close to me. Pickup at the red barn is only 5 minutes from my house but if you have a freezer and can buy larger amounts it might be worth the drive to Innisfil to stock up. Also, if you are ever passing through Kingston, there is a fantastic raw food supplier there, which are super cheap. I'm contemplating getting a deep freeze and making that drive myself every few months. :)

Thank you everyone! Lots of great information, and I am so relieved to hear that I don't have to be rigid and strict in following one method.

Widowcali, thank you for sharing your dog's tummy troubles; I will definitely start transitioning one meal be adding in a grain-free kibble and thanks for the coupon tips!

cleptogrey, It's just my own silly perception that my dog would get bored on kibble. I suspect it's self-imposed PTS caused by the many restrictive diets I've put myself on over the years that's to blame. As an aside, I think saluki's are THE most gorgeous dog I've ever seen and wonder if they're temperament is similar to a grey's; I have only ever seen one. We took Bonnie for a blood and urine test in January and thankfully, she got a clearn bill of health, so there's no worries there.

2greys2cats, I aspire to the diet you provide. I would really like to give her a good base kibble, and then cook for her and add it in. But I'm conflicted because I really like the benefits of raw, one of which is how great it is for their teeth, but right now, I don't want to get myself frustrated, so one step at a time.

Thanks again!

RedHead, I think it's great that you gauge your percentage of raw and then add what you wish. Sounds as though it's working well for you. I'm not aware of any food co-ops, and am not really sure what you mean by a co-op :blush , but we do have a chinese grocer in the west end of the city that really does have great prices. Since I 'm fairly certain I will also maintain a raw percentage, then purchasing there should be doable.

Finnsmom, thanks for the link. Prices are good. I plan on taking a trip up to Innisfil to take our girl for a run, so I could kill a couple of birds (hate that saying) and place a meat order too. By the way, your Finn is beautiful; such a pretty coat.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest 2greys2cats
Thank you everyone! Lots of great information, and I am so relieved to hear that I don't have to be rigid and strict in following one method.

Widowcali, thank you for sharing your dog's tummy troubles; I will definitely start transitioning one meal be adding in a grain-free kibble and thanks for the coupon tips!

cleptogrey, It's just my own silly perception that my dog would get bored on kibble. I suspect it's self-imposed PTS caused by the many restrictive diets I've put myself on over the years that's to blame. As an aside, I think saluki's are THE most gorgeous dog I've ever seen and wonder if they're temperament is similar to a grey's; I have only ever seen one. We took Bonnie for a blood and urine test in January and thankfully, she got a clearn bill of health, so there's no worries there.

2greys2cats, I aspire to the diet you provide. I would really like to give her a good base kibble, and then cook for her and add it in. But I'm conflicted because I really like the benefits of raw, one of which is how great it is for their teeth, but right now, I don't want to get myself frustrated, so one step at a time.

Thanks again!

RedHead, I think it's great that you gauge your percentage of raw and then add what you wish. Sounds as though it's working well for you. I'm not aware of any food co-ops, and am not really sure what you mean by a co-op :blush , but we do have a chinese grocer in the west end of the city that really does have great prices. Since I 'm fairly certain I will also maintain a raw percentage, then purchasing there should be doable.

Finnsmom, thanks for the link. Prices are good. I plan on taking a trip up to Innisfil to take our girl for a run, so I could kill a couple of birds (hate that saying) and place a meat order too. By the way, your Finn is beautiful; such a pretty coat.

Hi again! You are doing awesome for your dog by researching and asking questions. Kudos to you! You can still feed good-quality grain free kibble and do some raw. Many people do that. I've done that on occasion as well. Some people feed kibble and then throw in a turkey neck. You'll figure it out. Best wishes to you and your dog! :)