Smoke Bones

Guest rdoyle225

Smoked is cooked. Not safe for Rotties or greys, as delicious as they might be. Cooked bones splinter and can easily lead to major abdominal surgery. Not an emergency I choose.

No smoked or cooked bones should be fed. Bones that have been cooked in any manner splinter more easily and may injure the throat or internal organs if swallowed. The pet stores are full of this stuff, but it's best not to feed it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest rdoyle225

ok thanks. we have not given are rottie in a long time she is almost 9 years old. She would chew any thing. We lost pair of glasses, pair teeth 2 couches. metel create. dry wall and other stuff. Not becouse she was board eather she would get 3 1hours walks a day or more. she was a heavey chewer

I really wish pet stores and other suppliers would have some sense and stop selling cooked/smoked bones.

OP, there are raw bones that are safer to feed. My rule is that I don't feed anything denser than a dog's teeth. Raw turkey necks, duck necks, chicken backs and leg quarters, chicken or duck feet are pretty easily found and give hounds the satisfaction of chewing (and teeth cleaning) without a lot of risk, so long as you're on hand to make sure the bones aren't swallowed whole.

Edited by Vers

Sorry, but I have to disagree on the smoked bones unless yours are a heck of a lot different to the ones we get over here!

Renie was a ferocious chewer. After she'd eaten part of two walls, and half the knobs from a bespoke piece of furniture, I bought her a smoked bone. She had it five or six years and never broke more than a few millimetres or so off the ends. After she died I got rid of it because Jack had no interest (and precious few teeth), and it honestly had no more than a lot of scratches and a little nibbled area on one end. She used to really gnaw on that thing but smoked bones are incredibly hard. At least, there are here in England!

All I would say is to make sure yours are indeed like that, and to get the best quality you can find. A cheap smoked bone isn't going to be the same as an expensive one, that's for sure.

Oh, and you should be aware that they might break teeth on them. That is a downside.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest blueberri

The smoked ones we get here are softer than raw, but tend to crumble kinda like bones that have been crockpot cooked for a few days... all chalky and whatnot.

Not a thing we purchase, as it lasts a matter of seconds, and my dog tends to down it in chunks, whereas raw bones he'll chew.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on the smoked bones unless yours are a heck of a lot different to the ones we get over here!

I feed processed/smoked bones too without any problems. Not femurs or weight-bearing bones, but we routinely give knees and knuckles at least a few times a week. The vet always comments on how nice and white their teeth are. Neither of my guys are aggressive chewers though.