How Do You Train A Dog That Is Clean When You Are Home

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

When I am at home, my new grey, Camo, is perfect. He doesn't have accidents in the house.

just before I leave, sometimes just for a few minutes, I send him outside, he does what he has to do, but when I get home, tada! he has pooped and peed in the house.

It's like he keeps some for when I leave...

what should I do? I'm thinking about crating him but I hate the idea.....

Guest grey_dreams

Does he get a good long walk before you leave? Something like 30-45 minutes at least? Many dogs require a vigorous walk to get things moving, and more opportunity for sniffing scents along the way helps them completely empty. My boy Zaviel has to pee at least about 5-10 times to be really empty. If Camo is only getting outside "just for a few minutes" right before you leave, he may not be emptying completely.

Guest Whippet

I wish I could give him a long walk before I leave but the problem is that these days, it's cold... real cold... Today, it was rather warm... -24°C which is -12°F... Yesterday, it was -32° which is -25°F.

It is normally not that cold but we have been having a very strange winter...

:(

But I am looking for a cage.

Normally, though, he should be able to hold it for a couple hours... The house is never empty for more 4 hours at a time. Today, I was home most of the day, I left for 30 minutes and when I came back, he had peed and pooped...

Guest grey_dreams
Normally, though, he should be able to hold it for a couple hours... The house is never empty for more 4 hours at a time. Today, I was home most of the day, I left for 30 minutes and when I came back, he had peed and pooped...

Your weather sounds very cold, so I can understand about the walks. But with 30 minutes absence and pottying, it might be separation anxiety.

Guest Whippet
Your weather sounds very cold, so I can understand about the walks. But with 30 minutes absence and pottying, it might be separation anxiety.

You aren't the first to suggest seperation anxiety so it could be that but is it possible to develop it after not even three weeks after the adoption?

I am kinda lost here because this is my 3rd greyhound and my fourth dog and this had never happened to me before...

Guest grey_dreams

Actually, for many dogs with SA, it only appears after about 3 weeks :) This is because before they can feel separation they have to feel attachment. So in the beginning, before they bond with you, they are fine. It's only after they form a bond with you that they feel anxiety when you leave.

Guest Whippet

This is our weather forecast for the weekend... No long walks for a while...

Short Term ForecastUpdated:Thursday, February 7, 2013, 21:23EST

Thursday
OvernightOvernight: 12:00 AM - 5:59 AM Friday -29°C Feels Like -35
MorningMorning: 6:00 AM - 11:59 AM Friday -26°C Feels Like -33
AfternoonAfternoon: 12:00 PM - 5:59 PM Friday -16°C Feels Like -22
EveningEvening: 6:00 PM - 11:59 PM Friday -20°C Feels Like -28
OvernightOvernight: 12:00 AM - 5:59 AM -26°C Feels Like -33

Actually, for many dogs with SA, it only appears after about 3 weeks :) This is because before they can feel separation they have to feel attachment. So in the beginning, before they bond with you, they are fine. It's only after they form a bond with you that they feel anxiety when you leave.

It will be three weeks this Saturday so I guess he already loves me? :)

I know I already love him... ;)

Edited by Whippet

Sometimes when it is very cold, we go out and do one thing (pee), come in and warm up for 5-10 minutes, then go out and do the other thing (poop, maybe pee again). NOT SAYING THIS WOULD WORK FOR YOU -- you have to be the judge. If the dog is very reluctant to go out in the cold, hates his coat, etc., then I wouldn't even try it. But if he generally likes going out even in the cold, then it might be worth a try before you leave the house. I agree with grey_dreams, tho, that it could be some separation anxiety coupled with the cold weather.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ours hasn't been too happy about going out in the cold weather lately either. Although, I have found that if we send him to the backyard quick, he will do a QUICK pee and come right back. On the other hand, if we take him on a (very short) walk, the whole idea of going somewhere new and being on a walk is exciting enough that he'll be out for 5-15 minutes, and he stays warmer since he's moving. Anyway, when he is out on a walk, there are more things to pee on and so he will poo usually twice, and pee until he is lifting his leg and nothing comes out. This is when we go back in, and he stays empty enough that he doesn't make a mess. If we don't take him on this short walk before we leave he is likely to have an accident, even if we aren't gone long. I don't know if this will work for you, but Superbird gets excited enough about walks that I can get him out long enough to pee.

Guest Whippet

GRRR!!! lol!!!

I just went for a walk with Camo even if it is super cold. He had fun, peed everywhere, but 10 minutes after we got back, POOP in the kitchen!!!

:(

If you are home, try keeping him in the same room with you either with a gate (if you are right there, you could just lean a big piece of cardboard in the doorway) or with a leash around your waist. Then if you see him looking for a spot or about to do something, you can whisk him right outside.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ashphobiax

my grey does this as well.

just tonight he did it, we went two blocks down the street got a pizza came back and he pooped and peed. we think its separation anxiety and i also hate the idea of crating but with the amount of times glider has accidents we are actually thinking about crating.

i have tried the walking but he never seems to fully empty everything, do you have fenced in yard? maybe you can leave him out while you get ready for your day?

Edited by ashphobiax

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but....

We have always crated Boo when we leave the house and he doesn't mind it, but at one point we decided it was 'time' to start leaving him out. He was alone for about 5 minutes and peed. We tried again a few weeks later, and again, gone 10 minutes and he peed (even though he had gone out and done all of his business before we left both times). He has never had accidents in the house otherwise.

He doesn't have SA when we are gone when he is crated (we've recorded him), but for some reason being left out when we are gone is stressful for him.

Of course, we could slowly try and train him into being more comfortable... but if he's fine in his crate, why would we?

I don't love the idea of him always being crated when we leave the house either, but I now realize that is my human guilt projection. Obviously being crated is preferable to him since he shows no signs of stress that way.

If Camo doesn't mind being crated, maybe that is the best solution for now (or maybe forever).

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir