Anyone Do Clicker Training?

Guest KatyC

A few things I taught after target was "kiss" where Teague bumps my face with his nose. Also I used target to lure him into a circle, and now he will "spin" around in a circle. If your dog will lure well you can also teach "bow" easily (put your arm in front of their back legs so they don't walk, and then move the food lure along the floor in front of their nose...they will have to bow down to get it. Teague won't do this, but all of my other dogs did). I asked a few weeks ago here about clicker ideas and there were some good ideas around working with pvc poles doing jumps or weaving. Also, the "100 things to do with a box" is fun where you put a box (or any object) in front of the dog and start clicking any behaviours they offer. This way they start to get the idea that by offering behaviours, they get rewarded.

Just a quick note, the treats involved do make a difference. I was in class tonight and I had my usual stuff, dried beef liver, dried tripe, etc, but I also brought a bagel and cream cheese because thats one of Sailors favorite things and I knew we'd be dealing with stuff he would be scared of (agility equipment). I worked with the beef liver and he was totally distracted. I brought out the bagel and he was completely focused and intense. Every dog is different you just need to find what works for your dog.

This lunch we managed 'Sit'! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

She will only do it on a bed and I have to touch her bottom but she definately got it :) :) Hopefully when we have completely mastered this on any flooring (!) we can progress to a down from it.

What a clever girl she is!

Guest PiagetsMom

It's exciting when you finally get that sit down! I've been working on it with Maya for a couple of months. We have slate flooring throughout the house, and Maya still refuses to sit on the flooring, but she will give me a sit on her beds, or on the memory rugs I have down for them in the living area. I keep hoping I'll ask her for a sit somewhere and she'll forget about the floor and do it without thinking about it, but so far, she's not giving that. But, the sit was not easy for her, so I'll take it for now!

Guest Jincxerific

I clicker train Jincx using Sue Eh?s levels...http://sue-eh.ca/

I farted (heh) around doing things 'my' way for awhile, but now that I've got her books and am doing things exactly step by step I can really see the progress! It only takes a little bit every day.

Anyway, before I really started the levels, I took Jincx to a CGC class where of course he had to sit. He had no idea about sit, as far as he was concerned his body didn't work that way. The only way he would assume that position at first was on a comfy couch! Now he sits everywhere, but I start over from scratch on new surfaces/in new environments. Meaning I don't say 'sit' or give a cue at first, just lure. As soon as he's offering sits regularly I put the cue back on. They're sort of uncomfortable for him, tho, so he doesn't have a good extended sit. (vet says he's ok, just tense muscles)

All that to say yay for you for clicker training, and check out Sue Ailsby's site!

I clicker train Jincx using Sue Eh?s levels...http://sue-eh.ca/

I farted (heh) around doing things 'my' way for awhile, but now that I've got her books and am doing things exactly step by step I can really see the progress! It only takes a little bit every day.

Anyway, before I really started the levels, I took Jincx to a CGC class where of course he had to sit. He had no idea about sit, as far as he was concerned his body didn't work that way. The only way he would assume that position at first was on a comfy couch! Now he sits everywhere, but I start over from scratch on new surfaces/in new environments. Meaning I don't say 'sit' or give a cue at first, just lure. As soon as he's offering sits regularly I put the cue back on. They're sort of uncomfortable for him, tho, so he doesn't have a good extended sit. (vet says he's ok, just tense muscles)

All that to say yay for you for clicker training, and check out Sue Ailsby's site!

Thanks I will check this out later.

I just wanted to give an update - that I can now get Peggy to sit on any surface (Although outside it's only very briefly that her bottom touches the floor!) She will also do down quite reliably, up - onto a couch, she loves to do touch - as it was the first thing she learnt, she also knows watch me to look in my eyes and wait to wait until she looks in my eyes and is released (it all depends on what mood she's in though!)

I can now make her sit and wait for her dinner and sit and down for a treat. We are working on stay, then we will attempt to start working on the recall - biggest challenge.

She is definately picking things up more quickly now though. I just thought I'd put this as it might encourage more people to do the clicker training. I thought it wouldn't work to start with but it has :) And in only a few weeks to a month :) And she loves it!

Is she offering you behavior now? That is when you can really get some speed in training!

Yeah she is starting to offer sits, not all the time, but sometimes, and she now sits all the time on her own for no reason. Like in the middle of the garden when we are trying to get her to come back in!

I was able to teach Bu to wag his tail on command in 1 session the other day! Proud of my boy.

That's really good! Well done!