Anyone Do Clicker Training?

Guest KatyC

Hi all,

I have bought a clicker with the intention of trying to start training with Peggy. Just basic things - down, sit, stay, wait, on your bed, come, fetch - that sort of thing.

I have tried to get her initally accustomed to it by something I saw on never say never greyhound. Putting a treat on an upside down cup and clicking whenever the dog takes the treat and then gradually as the dog touches the cup without a treat - click and reward. So I did this for 10 minutes yesterday but then Peggy seemed to get bored and wonder off! So I thought I'd stop and read up a bit more about it again.

Does anyone have any advice for good things to do when starting clicker training? Any tips for getting them into a down or sit with clicker. I tried one thing for down which i under the legs but Peggy didn't get that at all!

Any advice and tips for things to do would be greatly appreciated. I think she is quite bright and switched on, so once she understands the idea of doing something I ask of her for a reward then I think we will be on the way to success!

Thanks in advance :)

Katy

P.s. - she is more lovely every day, can't wait to see the dog she will become in a year when she has come out of her shell completely :)

I basically started by clicking, giving a treat. Clicking, giving a treat. After a while, the clicking generated eye contact and that's when I give the treat.

My reason for the training was to get Lou's attention when on leash and another dog was approaching. We now do the watch me commend, both worked.

Thanks, I will try just doing that. We have started doing watch me with treats and rewards before doing the clicker. But I will try doing the clicker with this as well :)

Thanks!

Yep, I started clicker training with both of my guys by just clicking, then giving them the treat. Let her get used to the sound and what it means. Wait until she makes eye contact naturally, then click her for that. You can then begin to use a phrase like "look" or "watch me" as her cue. Another thing I did was hand-targeting with a clicker. Touch her nose with your hand, then click and give her a treat. Do that a few times, then begin to let her come to you. When she touches her nose to your hand, click and treat. You can make it more challenging by putting your hand up high, down low, behind your back, etc. I liked hand-targeting for Henry because he was fearful of certain people and a little bit hand shy. So I would ask my friends to practice targeting with Henry when they came to our house. It helped Henry gain the confidence to use something he knew with something he was unsure of.

Oh, and P.S. "the clicker never lies." Even if you accidentally click it, you should give a treat anyways.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest iclarkz

Really all you are doing innthe beginning is pairing a click jwith a treat. The cup thing is kind of a fancy way to do it. . . .I just taught my dog to touch his nose to my hand for a treat. (The treat is in my hand, and hence easier to dispense.) I eventually had him follow my hand, and clicked and treated. I eventually got him to turn in a circle by following my hand. This dog isn't a grey, and pretty smart, but it only took about 2 sessions of 5 minutes. I think 10 minutes is a pretty long time at first, especially for a grey. Just do 3-4 minute sessions a few times a day.

Thanks guys. Will just click and treat to start with then :)

I will definately try what you've done with Henry. I taught my parents dog to touch things and eventually taugh him to close doors!

:)

I will keep you updated!

Thanks guys. Will just click and treat to start with then :)

I will definately try what you've done with Henry. I taught my parents dog to touch things and eventually taugh him to close doors!

:)

I will keep you updated!

A couple funny/useful stories about hand-targeting.

Our trainer has a JRT mix who is petrified of most things. During Halloween, one of her neighbors put up a witch decoration. The dog got so upset, he pooped himself when he saw it. He was pretty good at hand targeting, so she brought him up to the witch and targeted him around it. Then, after a few minutes, she got him to touch the witch, and he eventually realized it was fake. After that, he was okay with the witch.

I also used hand-targeting with Truman outside a Chinese restaurant that had two, BIG, lion statues. Truman got down real low and started growling at them. He was so scared! I targeted him around the lion, then put treats on the lion's feet. After that, he calmed down and was able to walk past them without incident.

Then also, one of my friend's greyhounds got really freaked out by the newspaper boy throwing a newspaper past him on their walk. The first time it happened, he statued and refused to move. The second time, she targeted him around the newspaper, and then put treats on top of it. He recovered well and now has no problems with the paper boy.

Say the dogs name, click and treat after it looks at you. Remember, another dog may be around so you want the dog to know who you are talking to. The treat must always be given if you click and the dog looks your way. I just use the mantra name, click, and treat.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I agree with everyone else.

As for sit and down, I captured them with Sailor. When he would sit on the way to a down, I'd click. (he needed to know what the click meant already) after awhile, he'd sit just to get the click and treat. Same thing with down.

Thanks guys these are really helpful tips. Especially the name click treat - I like that. She's hard to catch in a sit as she goes down quickly! But I'll try that too.

Those stories make me even more determined to use the clicker - just shows how helpful it can be :)

Really all you are doing innthe beginning is pairing a click jwith a treat. The cup thing is kind of a fancy way to do it. . .

It's actually not. In order to pair the click with the treat (it's called "loading" the clicker) you need to click first, then give the treat. The cup thing is backwards and I admit I don't get the point of it.

You don't actually need to load the clicker, most dogs pick it up quickly if you start pairing it with food while working on an easy task like targeting or responding to their name with eye contact, but it certainly won't hurt. I would definitely recommend starting with one of those easier cues first, then gradually working to slightly more challenging cues. And keep in mind as you go that what seems like it's easy to you may not be for your dog. Basically, part of clicker training a retired racing greyhound is first teaching them what this training thing is. She has to learn that when the clicker and treats come out, it means you want some sort of behavior and the best way for her to figure out what is to try different things until she gets rewarded. It's the latter part that can be challenging with a greyhound who basically has lived a life that is very routine-oriented where trying new things is discouraged so if you don't make things easy and reward often, they can get bored or frustrated and give up or shut down.

Good luck! I absolutely love clicker training and wish more people would use them. Once you get things down a bit, you can start shaping behaviors and then the real fun starts. :)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Lots of good advice! I just wanted to add that I use the clicker when training Peyton. I do not do as much as I should but he knows a few commands. :) He gets frustrated very easily, though, so I stick to just a few minutes of training at a time or else he shuts down.

I love clicker training and I just started a "loading" session with my new boy today. I really like Karen Pryor's books and website about clicker training. www.clickertraining.com

It's such a great way to mark behaviors you want to encourage, and a positive and interactive way of training.

Edited by k9soul

I did a few little sessions yesterday and she is definately understanding that the click equals treat now :)

I also got her to touch my other hand for the click and treat which she seemed to get - whether she remembers it today is another matter!

But thanks for your tips as they are working :)

We are thinking of starting a training class next week for rescue dogs and older beginners :)

I have been clicker training and it is really fun. I have to admit, it took a long time for Teague to "get it" MUCH longer any of my other dogs who had started training as puppies. I gave up for a while, but started again, and he\s definitely more motivated and learning faster now. We have just been doing easy target exercises, and some simple movements like spin, paw, come, stay, etc.

So...my advice is keep at it and don't give up :)

Thanks. We did some more targeting with my left hand yesterday which she seemed to remember, does anyone have an idea for the next few steps to move onto now? What's an easy progression of things to do, that you guys moved onto?

I have no idea how I will get her to lay down or sit as when I have food on me she is far too excited to do any of these things!!

Thanks in advance, and glad this thread could be helpful for others too :)

Just looked on the Karen Pryor website and it's got some useful info on there - like make sure you click during the behaviour or movement and not just after. I had been clicking just after - so will try and change this :)

Thanks!

Thanks. We did some more targeting with my left hand yesterday which she seemed to remember, does anyone have an idea for the next few steps to move onto now? What's an easy progression of things to do, that you guys moved onto?

I have no idea how I will get her to lay down or sit as when I have food on me she is far too excited to do any of these things!!

Thanks in advance, and glad this thread could be helpful for others too :)

The next thing we did was "look" or "watch me." Just get her used to making eye contact with you. Then, we moved onto loose-leash walking, sit/down, and "leave it."

Thanks! You're always here to advise me :) Shame I can't buy you a drink to thank you for all your help!!

Just went home at lunch and did some more targeting. I tried using a coaster in my hand and then putting it on the floor. Seemed to work :)

I will try watch me tonight :)

It might be a coincidence but since I have started using the clicker with her she seems to have gained a more confidence. Less nervous of noises in the house, I even hoovered with a handheld vacuum and she followed me around yesterday evening! And also for the first time yesterday she chose to sit on her bed in the lounge while we were making dinner :) Only for 5 minutes. But it made us very happy to see the progress :)

Aww, you're sweet! I love seeing the shy ones come out of their shell. You will notice that training definitely makes a difference with their confidence. They think, "Oh! I'm doing something good!" The more they're told they're good, the more they seem to start believing it. It's a really fun transformation.

We have had our grey home since Monday, and I tried the clicker last night and it scared the beejeezus out of her. :ohno

We'll be starting slow!

If the sound scares her, you can wrap it up in something to muffle the sound somewhat until she gets used to it. Or they now make clickers that have a softer sound. They're called the i-click I think. Yeah, here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Karen-i-Click-Training-Clicker-Clickers/dp/B002LAS2KW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1360257945&sr=1-2&keywords=clicker

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Some clickers are a lot louder than others too. One of my dogs is ultra sensitive to sound so I purchased quieter clickers. These are what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Karen-i-Click-Training-Clicker-Clickers/dp/B002LAS2KW

Edit: Woops, I should have read the post above mine! Yep, those are great, not as loud as some of the others.

Edited by k9soul