Anyone Have/had Lymphoma Survivors?

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo's lymphoma has been in remission since finishing chemo (UW Protocol) in March, 2012. I check him every day to see if the nodes have any swelling and haven't found anything, but just the past few days I've noticed that he's holding his head funny. He sticks his nose straight out like he's sniffing something. He did this when the submandibular lymph nodes were very swollen, before he was diagnosed and I had no idea what it was. Now I'm starting to panic that it's coming back even though I can't feel anything.

I'm looking for anyone who had a hound in remission and the cancer came back. I'm sorry to bring back sad memories, but would like to be as prepared as possible.

How long was your hound in remission?

How did you know it was back?

What did you give him/her for the swelling/pain since chemo isn't an option a second time?

How did you know when it was time to let go?

I'm so scared - I don't want to lose my sweet baby.

Guest K9Cookies

Hey there. I know the feeling you've got. :( Our angel, Bonnie Twist, had lymphoma. She survived a year to the day with several different chemo protocols. We got it into remission using the CHOP (or COP? I can't remember) protocol first. Her remission lasted many months with that one, maybe 6-8 months. Towards the end, we went through 2 or 3 "rescue" protocols which did help, but we knew exactly when it was time.

It's good you want to be prepapred with the knowledge. Keep checking his lymph nodes daily and call the vet if something strange comes up. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to recall what I can. We worked with Dr. Couto's team at OSU and they came up with the treatment procotols. Our vet carried out the plan and dealt with all of the bumps in the road.

Wishing you well. :)

Sending big hugs to you Phyllis :grouphug:grouphug and hoping it stays in remission.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

My first dog Rascal lived 15 months from diagnosis...he was six months without treatment until he just went on a downhill slide. Some of it was the cancer...some of it was he just kind of shut down and wouldn't eat. The decision was made when he could no longer get up. He was 12 1/2....<br /><br />He had fought the good fight and was ready...that I knew...it was the only thing that got me through it.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

What did you give him/her for the swelling/pain since chemo isn't an option a second time?

Is there a particular reason that chemo isn't an option again for Mojo? As K9Cookies mentioned, there are 'rescue' chemo protocols that can be used when a dog comes out of remission from lymphoma. I hope that Mojo says in remission and that his head posture is something unrelated. :hope Since that's been going on for a few days, though, I'd probably suggest having your vet check him out.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Phyllis, I don't have any help, but I am hoping that Mojo is just holding his head funny from some stiffness or minor arthritis, or something like that.

Also, I hope that if/when he does come out of remission that you can utilize some additional protocols and have a lot more quality time with him!

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties