Got A Snarky Sleeper?

Just to give those of you who have a newly adopted greyhound who is snarky about bed sharing a little hope -

JSSngle-800.jpg

Jeffie was extremely growly with Sid when he first came home, and still will sometimes warn him off, but this is what I saw this morning after Sid had come back from swimming. While I watched, Sid stretched out that back leg, pushing Jeffie's head aside, but Jeff didn't bat an eyelid, just moved it right back when he was done stretching!

He has improved a lot over time. Not to say they all will, of course, so it pays to be cautious, but some can certainly learn to share. Jeffie did!! :wub:

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

That's great!

For anyone who has one, you can actually be proactive about changing this behavior by gently initiating contact and treating with a high value treat. I started when Z was awake (and unlikely to snark) just when he was resting on his bed or the couch, just so he'd start to make the association between being touched when resting with something positive. Then we progressed to touching when his eyes were closed, but he wasn't deeply asleep starting with me touching him away from his face "just in case" then gradually progressing to waking him when he was more deeply asleep and starting to change where I touched him. As a result, these days he either totally ignores being touched or he'll pop his head up with his eyes bright looking around for his treat. I try to keep treats nearby and still reward periodically to keep that positive association there, but I don't do it all of the time. The other day Violet started pushing in the face with her back paws as she stretched in her sleep. He was awake, but resting iwth his head down and he didn't even bother to move. It truly is amazing!

ETA: I've also noticed that he will occasionally "cuddle" with one of the other dogs, something he wouldn't have tolerated in his younger days and the biggest plus, he doesn't snark at me when we sleep in bed together (although that happened relatively rarely). :thumbs-up

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes, you're right. I had to work quite a lot with Jeffie, getting down on the floor with him while he was awake and touching him in non-threatening places, working up to his head and even his feet. He still doesn't like his feet touched and will pull them away a lot of the time but doesn't growl at me now. Patience and understanding dog body language is the key, don't you think?

Nice to know that Z can share a bed with you, too!

The interesting thing here is that Sid used to sit bolt upright and stare at me as if to say 'What IS the matter with the black dog - make him stop!!' and now he hardly bothers to open his eyes if Jeffie does growl. I think the fact that he doesn't react has actually helped Jeffie learn that he isn't a threat.

Patience and understanding dog body language is the key, don't you think?

I think classical conditioning is key actually. ;) I just wish more people would be proactive about sleep startle/sleep aggression issues. Hence my thread hijack, sorry! :blush

I hope more people will pop in here and see how successful you were and be inspired to work on it as well. :)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think classical conditioning is key actually. ;) I just wish more people would be proactive about sleep startle/sleep aggression issues. Hence my thread hijack, sorry! :blush

I hope more people will pop in here and see how successful you were and be inspired to work on it as well. :)

But when you're doing the classical conditioning, you DO need patience and an understanding of dog body language. In fact I'd say it's essential for a successful outcome. ;)

I think it depends on the dog, too. Probably with American greys, you do need to be proactive with conditioning, because of the crate system used at the tracks. Here in England things are different. Two dogs share a kennel and the same bed in the racing kennels, so the issues are not quite the same. It's more a question of two particular dogs learning to get along together, and I tend to take a hands-off approach on that when it's possible and safe to to so. Obviously, one has to be sure that the two dogs basically like and respect each other - and that's another point at which the understanding of dog body language is very important.

No problem hi-jacking. It's not a hi-jack - it's a discussion! And it's what I hoped might happen when I posted the picture, because people who have just adopted a second and found they have a problem sleeping together in peace might find it useful to see what has helped (or not helped) other people - so thanks for taking part! :)

But when you're doing the classical conditioning, you DO need patience and an understanding of dog body language. In fact I'd say it's essential for a successful outcome. ;)

I think it depends on the dog, too. Probably with American greys, you do need to be proactive with conditioning, because of the crate system used at the tracks. Here in England things are different. Two dogs share a kennel and the same bed in the racing kennels, so the issues are not quite the same. It's more a question of two particular dogs learning to get along together, and I tend to take a hands-off approach on that when it's possible and safe to to so. Obviously, one has to be sure that the two dogs basically like and respect each other - and that's another point at which the understanding of dog body language is very important.

No problem hi-jacking. It's not a hi-jack - it's a discussion! And it's what I hoped might happen when I posted the picture, because people who have just adopted a second and found they have a problem sleeping together in peace might find it useful to see what has helped (or not helped) other people - so thanks for taking part! :)

I didn't know that sleeping quarters were different in the UK, that's very interesting. And yes, I would suspect it would lead to very different behavior generally in regards to this type of thing. I'd say it's one of the more common "issues" with greys here - and one of the reasons the kid issue is what it is. And yes, agree with your first statement. :)