Cooked Eggs And Pet Insurance

Guest imonlyme07

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I would say even without seeing your hound that a female that weighs 65 lbs is at the correct weight. Unless she is a HUGE female, she shouldnt weigh much more. I really dont think there are many females out there that top the scales above 68lbs that are at a healthy weight. Does your vet know the greyhound breed? I would ask if your vet has any greyhound clients, if not, find a vet that does have other greyhound clients.

As far as free-feeding, yes it causes dogs to be picky eaters. Give her 5 minutes to eat, then pull it up and throw it away. She'll start eating soon enough.

She doesn't look too skinny in the pic, but it's hard to see when they are lying down. I give eggs all the time, they are great (the most complete protein you can feed). I only feed free range/organic from friends, I just crack it into their other food a few times a week.

As far as Insurance, I went with Trupanian. For the monthly cost I can afford it was the ONLY company I could find here that has unlimited coverage. The others all had limits on the amount you could use in a year, which was a bit limiting. The lesson I learned was to really read the policies thoroughly before deciding. I didn't get any for my non-grey Karma because she is 10+ and it got a lot more expensive. Poor Karma!

Guest imonlyme07

ok great, thanks guys! and by looking at some of your pics i guess she looks normal :) im just used to seeing ribs on a dog being a bad thing. one last question. we are on day three of transferring her onto a schedule instead of free feeding and i know it takes a bit for them to figure it out but how long is too long? i hate the feeling that im starving her so when should i just giver her food back full time if she is still not eating?

She looks fine to me. :)

A five minute window for a previously free fed only dog seems excessive to me. :dunno Maybe try 15 minutes or so.

I free fed for 10 + years before Poodle became diabetic and we had to have structured feedings and that would still be my preferred method especially if I had one dog and could keep track of input/output.

Dogs are funny about eating. Buddy and Poodle will eat just fine in the kitchen but Barkley will leave his food unless I put it somewhere in the living room with me...and he is not what one would think of as a picky eater - he just wants company. Conversely my Bella would only eat in the kitchen it the dark and I had more than one foster that would only eat lying down.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest imonlyme07

thats so funny! dogs are just goofy sometimes :) she has finally eaten two meals successfully :) granted they were on the smaller side but im making them a little bigger every time until she is eating a more normal amount.

Guest MzBanks

First, go to the website "truthaboutpetfood.com" and read up on what brands have the best quality. Merrick has had numerous recalls. I've just been through the mill with food - I was feeding Innova but they've changed the formula, and I also wanted to get away from chicken and rice because of the arsenic issue (what are we doing to our food supply??). First I tried a highly recommended grain free food called Nutrisource, but what didn't register with me was the peas - three kinds of pea products in this food. Suddenly a dog who pooped twice a day was going three times a day before noon, and volumes more than the one cup I was putting into him at each feeding. Peas, apparently, are the new corn, cheap filler that has protein and is being used to keep the protein level on the bag high, but reduces the amount of real meat, and unknown bioavailability for dogs.

After doing a lot of legwork, I settled on Orijen Adult - grain free, all ingredients locally sourced, and my boy loves it - AND poo is back to normal. Interestingly, I spent most of the summer working off last year's muffintop, but this year is maintaining his perfect weight beautifully. It's not cheap, but given the frequency of cancer in hounds, I think you really do get what you pay for, hopefully a healthy happy dog for a long time.

I had been throwing a bit of canned food on his wet kibble, but since I can't find any canned food that doesn't contain carrageenan (go to http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/carrageenan-just-dont-do-it ) or guar gum, I'm going to be looking at something freeze dried or frozen. Good luck!

Guest DeniseL

Just a caveat about insurance, especially Trupanion, which I have on both my babies. They, like I imagine most insurances, are sticklers for that pre existing condition. If they find ANYTHING in the chart about symptoms prior to enrollment, you are in for a fight. Just be careful you don't say to your vet tech, 'yeah I have noticed it since adoption, but its much worse now' like I did with loose stools. Now they won't cover IBS over 6 months later. I was furious. How many hounds come home with lose stools?? Come on! Now I am vigilant about that. My vet is going to write a letter, but they also got me with another diagnoses because of the fine print from my very first vet visit before I was enrolled. On a brighter note, they just sent me a check very quickly for an emergency er visit. Next time I will get a little lower deductible, also. Mine is $500 and I think I would prefer $200 more. :)