Guest EvanstonGrey

Glad you've gotten so much advice here. This is an awesome forum with some amazingly knowledgeable and generous posters who share their knowledge freely (looking at you JJNg and Giselle). I'm a little different, though not an expert, in terms of obedience classes in that I started mine at obedience very early. This wasn't so much to train for obedience as it was to get them out into new environments with different dog breeds. We still spend a lot of time in classes gazing around and doing nothing 12 months on, but it has been very important for me n terms of bonding with my dogs (lots of yummy treats) and getting them used to the concept of other dogs.

Guest EvanstonGrey
Off topic, but he looks so much like my Carlos :)

w8pyil.jpg

Hola Carlos! What a beautiful boy - que perro muy hermoso! I'm a sucker for the big red boys - they could be twins :)

I forgot to add something that is along the lines of what Giselle said (and she was very helpful to me when we got Kevin and went through lots of issues at first- thanks Giselle!) - reward the behavior that you want. Think about what you want to change and then reward - (if he's barking at you to play, ignore until he is quiet and then reward the quiet (with a good boy or other positive reward)). And also remember the power of the word "no". Use it very sparingly.

This is spot on. I was worried about the "no" - I try to use an "uh uh" or some other sound more than a serious, sharp "NO" but I do find myself saying it more than I'd like. Thanks for the reminder to save it for the times when it's really important. My main focus here is keeping the pups happy and safe. I'd like to be able to communicate with them a little, but I don't see serious agility or obedience work in our future.

Just like you, I pushed my dog's "drop it" skills too hard, too fast. I didn't get snarled at. I got teeth on my arm. She didn't bite even hard enough to leave an impression, or hurt me, but you better believe that I backed right off!

A couple years later and my girl looks up in anticipation when I approach and she's got something delicious.

She also was a bit space aggressive at first. We were routinely snarled and snapped at for just trying to sit on the same couch.

Now I can sit on her:

couchshare.jpg

You've gotten a lot of good responses, so my having been in your shoes is all I really have to add.

And thank you for adding this - I couldn't be more glad I 'fessed up to our troubles here. That photo is the sweetest!

FWIW, one of the finest dogs in my life was not a dog you could snooze with. He would fall deeply asleep and occasionally startle awake with a giant snarl and a snap. Same dog was one that I could show scared kids how gentle he was by sticking my hand in his mouth; he'd just happily spit it out and go on wagging his tail. Most dogs become safe to sleep with after a time but there are those that don't, and they're still good dogs :) .

FWIW also, I start teaching "drop it!" with something the dog might not even pick up, such as an old washcloth. I put it down in front of the dog, wait a beat, say "drop it!", then "good dog!", take back my washcloth and treat. Repeat repeat repeat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EvanstonGrey
Glad you've gotten so much advice here. This is an awesome forum with some amazingly knowledgeable and generous posters who share their knowledge freely (looking at you JJNg and Giselle). I'm a little different, though not an expert, in terms of obedience classes in that I started mine at obedience very early. This wasn't so much to train for obedience as it was to get them out into new environments with different dog breeds. We still spend a lot of time in classes gazing around and doing nothing 12 months on, but it has been very important for me n terms of bonding with my dogs (lots of yummy treats) and getting them used to the concept of other dogs.

Ahh, that makes tons of sense. We've been doing private obedience sessions with my husband and I and just our two (thought this was best) - maybe a low pressure setting where he can observe and interact with other dogs and get lots of praise would be a good idea at some point down the road

FWIW, one of the finest dogs in my life was not a dog you could snooze with. He would fall deeply asleep and occasionally startle awake with a giant snarl and a snap. Same dog was one that I could show scared kids how gentle he was by sticking my hand in his mouth; he'd just happily spit it out and go on wagging his tail. Most dogs become safe to sleep with after a time but there are those that don't, and they're still good dogs :) .

FWIW also, I start teaching "drop it!" with something the dog might not even pick up, such as an old washcloth. I put it down in front of the dog, wait a beat, say "drop it!", then "good dog!", take back my washcloth and treat. Repeat repeat repeat.

I'm going to file this one away to re-read too :) He's a sweetheart when he's awake already - so I'm going to stop worrying too much about the big guy.

When you were doing the "drop it" training with the washcloth, did your dog pick it up or did you just say "drop it" when it was on the floor? When I was working on this, I had a hard time finding something that he loved enough to grab but would give up without a fuss. Not easy! He also seemed to figure out that I was going to try to take whatever it was away and refuse to pick it up at all... Yet another reason working on "drop it" right now is not a good idea!

I once had a foster with very bad sleep aggression. It was to the point where he would lunge and snap at you if you simply walked past him while he was sleeping on the dog bed. I got great advice from someone and it worked like a charm. I was told to randomly throw socks, toys...anything soft and non-threatening at him while he was sleeping or just laying in his bed. Within a couple weeks of doing that, the lunging and snapping stopped.

We did this with Murray, our very sleep aggressive hound. This seemed to help him and take the edge off of being startled awake. Murray has been here for almost five years. The sleep aggression has nearly disappeared.

Don't give up. Things will get better as your hound learns to trust you and feel more comfortable in your home. We're so glad that we stuck with Murray (even after he bit both of us!). Good luck. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Ahh, that makes tons of sense. We've been doing private obedience sessions with my husband and I and just our two (thought this was best) - maybe a low pressure setting where he can observe and interact with other dogs and get lots of praise would be a good idea at some point down the road

I'm going to file this one away to re-read too :) He's a sweetheart when he's awake already - so I'm going to stop worrying too much about the big guy.

When you were doing the "drop it" training with the washcloth, did your dog pick it up or did you just say "drop it" when it was on the floor? When I was working on this, I had a hard time finding something that he loved enough to grab but would give up without a fuss. Not easy! He also seemed to figure out that I was going to try to take whatever it was away and refuse to pick it up at all... Yet another reason working on "drop it" right now is not a good idea!

I just said "drop it!" while it was on the floor. Sometimes a person has to pretend :lol . Once he started looking at me as soon as I said "drop it!", I moved along to an old not-so-desirable toy, then to a desirable toy, etc. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DeniseL

Omgosh, he is a dreamboat!! You have really gotten fabulous advice. I can only offer my empathy. We have had quite a few, um, incidents, since bringing home Miami. Most were stupidity on my part, some him just adjusting/ not trusting us. All of them probably could have been avoided, but we both learned so much in the process. Im sure you will, too. :)

Its pretty embarrassing explaining to someone you were bit by your own dog lol

We are working on the sleep startle and muzzle during certain procedures (he has corns we are trying to treat). Our relationship has changed so much in the past 6 months its unbelievable. He is such a good pup. I look at it like growing pains (for the both of us) and a huge learning experience. Hang in there....