Eye Swollen/red...advice Please!

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

Teddi's been acting a little...off all night. At first I thought he was just sleepy...he looked like he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open. After my mom pointed it out a few more times though, I realized that it's actually swollen and VERY red in the white part. It's always pink, but this is very red. His eye almost looks swollen "under" the eye...mostly on the right side. We're thinking he might have gotten hit in the face with a tail or maybe scratched it himself (he uses his dew claws to scratch his face all the time). Is there anything OTC I can do to help decrease the swelling, or should I just see what it looks like in the morning? Eye drops or anything? It's very weird. I don't think it's e-vet worthy...he seems to be feeling fine otherwise and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I got a few pictures, though he wouldn't keep his eyes open for the pics...

I just gave him a benadryl in case it's allergy related. My parents have straw down in the back yard and he's never been around it.
Edited by kkaiser104

Nice warm compresses will help. Watch it and see if it gets better. He might have a scratch or a foreign body (straw?) that might need medical attention. If you have some saline, and can get him to keep his eye open long enough, you can try and rinse it out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest kkaiser104
Nice warm compresses will help. Watch it and see if it gets better. He might have a scratch or a foreign body (straw?) that might need medical attention. If you have some saline, and can get him to keep his eye open long enough, you can try and rinse it out.

I have contact solution, but it's a "multi-purpose" solution and not just saline. Would that hurt anything? I'm tempted to just leave it alone while he's sleepy and see what it looks like in the morning.

Guest kkaiser104
You can try some benedryl. I'm wondering if something bit him.

I went ahead and gave him a benendryl. He's sleeping very comfortably and happy now. I'll probably be up all night checking on him, but I think he'll be okay until morning (at least). He does have seasonal allergies, so I'm wondering if the straw didn't agree with him. I know it doesn't agree with me!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kkaiser104" data-cid="5397044" data-time="1355377283"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Sambuca" data-cid="5397041" data-time="1355375685"><p>You can try some benedryl. I'm wondering if something bit him.</p></blockquote>

<br />

I went ahead and gave him a benendryl. He's sleeping very comfortably and happy now. I'll probably be up all night checking on him, but I think he'll be okay until morning (at least). He does have seasonal allergies, so I'm wondering if the straw didn't agree with him. I know it doesn't agree with me!</p></blockquote>

That could do it.

About a year ago, Sailors cheek swelled up. I brought him to the vet and we could not figure it out. He was on benedryl for a bit, but we still have no idea why he swelled. The odd thing is, is that my tongue often swells for no known reason. I'm curious if theres something in our environment that is doing it to us.

Guest kkaiser104

His teeth are near perfect--Dr. Kellogg is always telling me how great they look. The swelling is much better today, almost gone. I still don't know what made it swell up, but I think something just irritated it. I'll keep watching it. Thanks!