A Little Greta Help Please.

Prefacing by saying we KNEW it would take time and patience and it's been just over 24 hours so I'm not expecting miracles, just want to be sure I'm starting everyone on the right foot/paw. :)

We spent a very lazy day yesterday. We all just laid around. No problem. I wanted her to just get the feel of us. She has found "her" pillow/spot.

Pottying. She will not go outside unless led outside. And even then takes prodding. Major prodding. I only got two pees out of her yesterday. Morning and night. Only one poop. Morning. All on leash.

We all went out this morning we we got up, she pooped. No pee. And she didn't go out after breakfast with everyone else. After this mornings poop, I let her off leash and she went straight to the door. And she pulls to the door when she's ON leash. So I'm somewhat comfortable that she's getting the hang of how to come in.

How long should I attempt to potty her on leash? How long should I "force" her to go out? There have been NO accidents inside. Yeah!

Feeding. Couple of questions here. She is thin. She was 52 when she was vetted and I was told she should be about 60. Norm is 70 and gets a cup and a quarter at each meal, topped with about a tablespoon of wet. Maci is 50 and gets a cup and a tablespoon. We've started Greta at a cup and a tablespoon and she DEVOURS her meals. I'm afraid to give her too much but at the same time she does need to gain weight. Should she get more until she gains and then cut her back? She is taking cookies and cheese from our hands with no issue. (Norm gets his Tramadol and Meloxicam in a cheese cube so everybody gets a cheese cube. Milk bones come after dinner and canine sandwich cookies come after last outs. Other then that there are very few in between snacks.)

And the where to feed we are still working out. Norms food is put down first, down the hallway behind a gate. Maci is 2nd and in the living room. Greta has no trouble with the shiny kitchen floor so yesterday we fed her in there, next to Dash. We have now rethought that. 1. Because of how voraciously she eats and 2. because we're having trouble keeping her OUT of the kitchen. I don't want her to turn on Dash once she's done with her meals (we stand right there and watch but, better safe, right?) so now we've moved her to right in front of the back door. She's basically between the counter and the dining room table so she's a little protected/confined/alone. We're having a little trouble getting her to wait for her meal to be put down, she's making a move for Maci's-but we're both here to watch and redirect. For now. That will change tomorrow night when mama2 goes to work and I am home alone to feed. And then Tuesday morning when M2 is on her own for breakfast.

Sleeping. Last night I tried to sleep in my recliner with her tethered to me. I had to move her pillow from in front of me to next to me. She wanted no part of it and headed for the bedroom. So I moved her pillow to next to my side and she settled next to me. All good. Until this morning. We woke up to snarling/snarking. Between Maci and Norm! We think (and were worried) that having her next to me would make the exit a little less accessible. It truly didn't, space wise, but seemed to conceptually. If that makes sense. I have no clue what happened but we woke to Maci snarling at Norm. Maybe Norm didnt want to walk by Greta and turned around and went to Maci's bed? No clue, and we'll never know. I'm just trying to make it good for everyone. So I'm not sure what to do. Do I keep her tethered next to me for a while? If I don't, is it ok to muzzle at night so that she doesn't get in to things she shouldn't? And should I muzzle Maci so she doesn't connect with anyone ? The crates are in a different room so crating at night won't work. I know she wants to be with us, as evidenced by her moving to the bedroom last night.

And finally Maci. Whoa boy is her nose out of joint. She is getting no less attention and love. But she has kenneled herself both yesterday and today. Do I worry?

Thanks so much for reading and any advice you may have. Like I said, we knew we had some work, and are willing to do it, I just want to start everyone in the right track.

Whew.

Edited by Holly

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

As for the peeing and pooing issue, you don't mention about taking her for walks. If you are just turning her out in the yard than she is probably just finding her rythym. After all it has just been a day and this should sort itself out. However if you can build her up to a solid walking routine all your issues will be resolved. Congratulations on no accidents.

The food amount of course depends on the type of food but two cups per day is a good start. Exercise level is crucial as well. A super active dog can eat double what a sloth of the same size might need. Eyeball her over the next couple of months and increase or decrease according to how you want her to look. I like my dogs slim.

I won't comment on the pack dynamics other than to say that if you can have the pack go for good walks together it will probably help the bonding.

Edited by KickReturn

And finally Maci. Whoa boy is her nose out of joint. She is getting no less attention and love. But she has kenneled herself both yesterday and today. Do I worry?

I can't help with the rest of it, except to say that muzzling at night if you need to is fine. Gabe slept in one for a long time at the recommendation of our vet (Gabe had episodes of severe aggression caused by what was probably idiopathic seizures). It never seemed to bother him in the slightest.

But I wanted to comment on the quoted portion, because that's how Diamond reacted when I brought Lucy home. She pouted, refused to eat, and hid out in her crate for a week. It was sad, and I was SO worried that we'd made a huge mistake. We hadn't, though. Now they're best buddies. It just took her a week or so to accept that Luce was staying:

DandL.jpg

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Patience Grasshopper! She's only been there a day.

Most of your issues will resolve themselves with time and consistency. She's an adult dog and should be able to hold it all night (she had to in the kennel right?). If you all normally sleep in the bedroom, then that's what I'd do. Get a longer leash if you feel the need to keep her tethered to you during the night. Put her outside with the others, when the others go out, on whatever schedule you want her to be on. She'll figure it out pretty quickly. Muzzles are perfectly fine at this stage, especially when the people are asleep and unable to closely monitor interactions.

As far as meals go, extra baby gates will be your friend when there's only one of you to feed. It might take a few seconds longer to maneuver them, but they will help if one wants to have everyone else's meal. She should get the idea after a week or so and the baby gates can come down.

Maci is feeling a bit displaced. I always try and give the "resident" dogs a bit more attention and special time after we bring home a new dog. They get let out first, fed first, and given treats first. If Maci normally sleeps next to you, then don't move her. This will help tell her that she's retained her place in the pack. If the new dog gets the "best spot" right by Mom, that might be a little confusing. She'll pout for a while, but that's normal too. She's not the only princess in the castle anymore!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks guys. I know it will all be ok, I just want to be sure I'm doing all the right things. :)

No one sleeps next to my side of the bed. There are two beds at the bottom of the bed. I brought a bed in last night so that I could keep her leashed through the night. Tonight we may try unleashed, but baby gated in, all of us. The only problem is Norm tends to wandered in an out all night. So we'll just figure that out I guess. And we'll muzzle the girls. Hopefully they'll actually stay on!

You guys are really awesome. Please have patience with me! This adoption is different on so many levels! I KNOW it'll be fine!

(Can you imagine if I had had my own kids? They'd be wrapped in bubble wrap from the moment they were born!!!)

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I would feed her in her crate. 2 cups of food a day is very little. I would push that up a bit and see how she does. I would also walk her. It's good for everyone and she'll start to get to know the neighborhood.

We're using Pinnacle grain free turkey and potato. The amounts have totally worked for Norm and Maci. And I was actually wrong about Maci's and Greta's amount. It's 3/4 of a cup each meal. I just wonder if I should increase Greta until she adds weight, and then cut her back.

And feeding in crate might be possible but would take some serious rearranging. Norm eats in the hallway leading to the room where the crates are.

Mama2 and I have talked about it. We will feed as soon as she comes home in the morning, and as soon as I come at night. That way we'll both be home during feeding.

As for walks, it's not a neighborhood I'd be comfortable walking in. She can have as much outside play time as she wants, but I have to GET her outside. She is doing so much sleeping. Which in a way, I'm not worried about. I don't know how much sleep she got at Eileen's.

It will all work. I'm just being an overprotective mother. And it's going to STINK going to work on Tuesday! I just want to stay home with her!

We're using Pinnacle grain free turkey and potato. The amounts have totally worked for Norm and Maci. And I was actually wrong about Maci's and Greta's amount. It's 3/4 of a cup each meal. I just wonder if I should increase Greta until she adds weight, and then cut her back.

I don't know many greyhounds who need much less than 1 cup twice a day (assuming we're talking about an 8 oz measuring cup), and most of them are older, inactive dogs who have been retired for a while. I'm also assuming Greta is both recently retired from the track and recently spayed? I find that it takes a little time for their metabolism to slow down from coming out of training, as well as the decrease in hormones from spay/neuter. Until that happens, most greyhounds fairly fresh off the track need a little more food to gain and/or maintain weight, and then their caloric needs will decrease as their metabolism settles down.

Most of the female greyhounds I've fostered have initially needed around 1.5-2 cups of food twice daily. This usually decreases within a month or two, and I just keep an eye on how they're looking and adjust up or down as needed. With greyhounds, you can often see visible differences in their weight from week to week.

Feeding amounts do vary somewhat depending on the brand of food, as caloric content can different greatly. Most dry dog foods range between 300-500 kcal/cup, and it looks like Pinnacle is mid-range at 412 kcal/cup.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I don't know many greyhounds who need much less than 1 cup twice a day (assuming we're talking about an 8 oz measuring cup), and most of them are older, inactive dogs who have been retired for a while. I'm also assuming Greta is both recently retired from the track and recently spayed? I find that it takes a little time for their metabolism to slow down from coming out of training, as well as the decrease in hormones from spay/neuter. Until that happens, most greyhounds fairly fresh off the track need a little more food to gain and/or maintain weight, and then their caloric needs will decrease as their metabolism settles down.

Most of the female greyhounds I've fostered have initially needed around 1.5-2 cups of food twice daily. This usually decreases within a month or two, and I just keep an eye on how they're looking and adjust up or down as needed. With greyhounds, you can often see visible differences in their weight from week to week.

Feeding amounts do vary somewhat depending on the brand of food, as caloric content can different greatly. Most dry dog foods range between 300-500 kcal/cup, and it looks like Pinnacle is mid-range at 412 kcal/cup.

Then we're on the right track. Thanks much!

Guest jaws4evr

A few things

Feeding: Definetely separate them while eating. It’s much safer, more relaxed, and creates less competition and “devouring”.

You can feed smaller portions, or get a slow-down bowl (have rasied bumps in them). They also have big stainless steel balls that we put in our GH’s dish, so she has to nose it around to get her food, slows her down. Be patient, she’ll put on weight over time. If she’s getting the nutrition she needs, let the weight come on slowly. Most dogs are always hungry and some will always be devourers :)

They will learn really fast their “special” location to eat. This works amazingly well in our house, we only have to shut doors/gates once everyone has their meals, because they’re focused on their meal and their special dinner spot.

Sleeping: I suggest immediately ceasing and desisting this sleeping in the recliner with her tethered business. Not to be too harsh but you’re setting her (and the rest of your group) up for a more difficult adjustment once you change things around again.

I’d suggest crating the new hound (not sure if there’s a reason you aren’t doing this?) for a while. It’ll help to give her her own safe space in a new house with a new pack, more similar to what she experienced on the track. (ie she didn’t sleep tethered to a human on a chair amongst other animals :) ). This will also help the existing dog/s feel less threatened since the “new” dog will be confined and allow them to adjust to having her in the house without having her constantly loose in their space.

You can always move the crate to somewhere more convenient.

Potty: Have you taken her on walks? She may be a “potty on walk” type animal. And as far as the routine goes, she’ll get it with time. I would continue to “make” her go out, (just with a leash and firm but gentle leading). It may help sending her out by herself also.

Pack dynamics: Have you been walking them as a group? Structured walks with everyone together can create a healthier social group. It allows them to be near eachother without being forced to interact, and all be respecting your leadership together as the keystone of the group.

Guest Jacks_Human

Potty-- Jack only pees 3x a day total, and sometimes only 2 (3 is his preferred number) and only poops twice (sometimes only once). So I wouldn't worry, just help her find her potty routine.

Food-- 2 cups per day is too little. When Jack needed to gain weight (his race weight was only 30kg/66lbs), he got 1.5 cups kibble at each feeding, plus about 1/2 cup total wholegrain macaroni and tinned fish. The supplementary food got phased out except as a treat, but I kept up the kibble intake.

Pack stuff-- On some level, the dogs need to work it out. But you-- the pack leaders-- need to help validate their pack dynamics, otherwise it's confusing. Make sure the new girlie gets her attention, but show who's got seniority. Little stuff like presenting them with food first often seems to do the trick.

Success! She went out today all on her own!!! Woohoo!!

Yup. She's being really good. We'll she's being a 2 year old actually. Lol. I now have the cleanest counters and sink ever!

And I swear she gets prettier every day!