Ripped His Toenail Off

my daugther calls me in panic that there is blood everywhere and she isnt sure which dog it is because she just walked in and they were going nuts.

I was on my way home...minutes seem like hours when one of our greys are hurt.

anyway we come to find when I got here that its Duke.

his back right toenail is off. I have no idea how he did that

blood everywhere. Of course I panic...(even though I was a vet tech)

I immediately had Holli get a bucket of warm water with antibactieral soap and some cornstartch

I soaked his foot for a few mintues then held a dry towel on it for a few minutes with pressure.

I then put his foot in a bowl of cornstartch.

I called the vet, but they said I am doing things well so just wrap it and keep it wrapped

it was doing farily well the last hour or so. but now I have noticed that the bleeding is starting again.

We are going to unwrap it and put more pressure and cornstartch on it. and re wrap it

I take it that my vet didnt really want to see him.

any other suggestions?

think I should just leave it alone or change the dressing??

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Deuce does this on a regular basis. I clean it up, cram a girlie pad into a boot and cram her foot into the boot. I change the boot and pad every few hours until the bleeding stops. I have her wear the boot for about a week or so.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest BlueCrab

When Trixie did this over the winter, we elevated the foot for a while to help stop the bleeding. She didn't mind having her tummy scratched while I was holding her foot in the air. And yup, it bled EVERYWHERE. After we got the bleeding to stop I put some EMT gel on it, a bit of gauze with a pad and a baby sock vet wrapped on to hold it all together. Changed it regularly and then when things toughened up a bit, no more sock.