It's Been A Ridiculous Week In The Wylie House.

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

So, I posted last week about Charlie and his weight gain, and possible arthritis (that was confirmed) and his increased irritability. Then at his well visit we find out he has a growth that needs to be further investigated. Magic has come into contact with some fleas and is a hot itchy mess. Well, yesterday was a FREAK day....freak. Starting from the morning....

Usually Sherry does not move out of the bed until at least 9:30am. More times than not, she doesn't eat breakfast. The boys will be up bouncing around, waiting for brekkie, and ready to play. Sherry just sleeps. Welp, not yesterday! Come 7am, Sherry was up and at em. Waking us all up being crazy. We let her out, we played a bit, we decided to just start our day since there seemed to be no calming her down. The boys....they continued to sleep. About an hour in to our day, Sherry bows to Charlie to play with her. They often play together, so this was not unusual. Charlie said no. So, Sherry, walked by him to go to the other side of the bedroom and he snapped at her. Never lifted any of his body off his bed, just snapped at her. She yelped, and continued walking as if nothing was wrong. At first, we thought the yelp was because her feelings were hurt. Looked her over to be safe and saw nothing. Then our daughter (the over protective dog mom) wanted to check just to be sure and found a slit on her neck/throat. Barely visible. By the time Sherry jumped on the bed and I looked at it, it was a little bigger. Then the thing just seemed to get bigger before my eyes! No blood at all, just a skin wound, but it kept growing. Off to the vet we went! 10 stitches later she is wrapped up like a pup ready for the winter. You'd never know anything was wrong with her since she is her usual playful self. Vet said it's a good thing that Charlie wasn't intending to hurt her because this was right by her jugular.

8039279854_cc4b4eff1e.jpg

Untitled by *just_me*, on Flickr

8039279606_43569a7af3.jpg

Untitled by *just_me*, on Flickr

*sigh* We've had nearly a year of these fabulous dogs with no great stress. And now it feels like the wheels are falling off. Everyone is back to wearing muzzles full time until we figure out why Charlie has had this sudden increase in irritability (back to the vet Wednesday for bloodwork).

Has Charlie started taking pain meds? Because if this incident was pre-breakfast, he might have been in some pain.

I've got a 12-year-old with arthritis. For ten years, he's been Mr Mellow. This week, for the first time ever, he threatened Silver--a tooth-baring growl when she walked into the room. (She's my alpha girl, but she took him seriously and stayed away from him.) So Sam's been muzzled a bit in the evening, until I'm sure his dinner-time meds have had a chance to kick in. If he's sleeping well, he's fine. If he's wakeful, he may be in pain and it's time to watch him.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hugs to you all. Smoochies to Sherry, such a trooper. I hope Charlie is okay and nothing serious is causing this.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

If they've not already done so, be sure they check for Lyme disease.

I can never stress that enough!! We live in a real hot spot and Lyme disease has made it's round in our household on more than one occasion. It's painful, everything hurts, puppy gets grouchy. We have a very well balanced pack but out of nowhere a seemingly non-symptomatic dog causes a dog fight over something that would normally be no problem at all. Lyme disease is the reason 99% of the time.

Sorry you've had a rough time lately!! We go through similar "bouts". Everything will be fine for a long, long time and then suddenly everything happens at once!

Guest FrankieWylie

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to request that be part of the bloodwork on Wednesday!

Charlie had not yet started pain meds, just a joint supplement. I'll ask about that on Monday when we take Sherry in for a bandage change!

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to request that be part of the bloodwork on Wednesday!

Charlie had not yet started pain meds, just a joint supplement. I'll ask about that on Monday when we take Sherry in for a bandage change!

I just wanted to add, lyme attacks the weakest part of the body. For example, Mira has arthritis in her spine. When she got lyme, that's where it "attacked" her and she woke up one day unable to walk.

I'm not saying it is what your boy has, I just like to always suggest it to people. If caught early it's treatable, but if it isn't caught early, it is bad news..