Hello Arthritis! And A Biopsy For Cancer....

Guest FrankieWylie

Guest FrankieWylie

Took Charlie boy in today! Almost a 10lb weight gain since January. And, doc says he does have arthritis and it's only going to get worse because of the weight and it turning cooler now. He also assures us it is all manageable and that us being on top of it now, as opposed to when he really isn't feeling good is a bonus.

Then he looked at the "bump/growth" on the side of his upper body and said we needed to get it out and biopsied for mast cell skin cancer....or something like that. My brain and ears stopped functioning at the word cancer. He isn't jumping to conclusions, he is just telling us the possibilities. So, we go in next week for a biopsy and bloodwork to also check his thyroid, kidneys, liver, etc. to rule out anything there for the increase in irritation he is showing towards the other dogs.

Arthritis.....

Doc reccommends Desuquin/Cosequin for right now. Non-steroid stuff. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm off to consult my friend Google....but figured I'd ask here as well.

Guest FrankieWylie

I do not know the answer to that tbhounds? MCT? Aspirate the mass.....how? Sorry. I'm on a little bit of stress overload here (not just because of this) and my brain function has diminished drastically because of it. Soooooo, could you write it out in 5yr old terms for me? :huh

If it is a mast-cell tumor it should be easy to remove and get clean margines... not a cancer worth freaking out over, even though that "c" word is in there.

If your vet did not even offer or think to do a fine-needle asparate to look at the cells right there, you might wanna consider another vet doing the removal. A mast-cell tumor was what got us to switch vets and now we are much more confident in our dogs' care.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Ha-sure. MCT=mass cell tumor. FNA=fine needle aspirate An FNA is where the veterinarian inserts a needle into the affected area and draws back some cells. The cells are placed onto a microscope slide and examined under a microscope (cytology). MCT's are rather easy to indentify--not all tumors will give off cells readily or be as easy to indenify. The one draw back about MCT's is they cant be graded via an aspirate/cytology that would require removing the tumor completely and sending it off to the pathology department.

One other thing---it would be beneficial to perform a FNA first before surgery--if its a MCT the Dr will know to try to achieve very wide margins.

Sending good thoughts for Charlie!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown