Biting At Himself

Guest bernadette

Guest bernadette

Quick history... earlier this year we noticed that Vinnie wasn't acting the same: eating less, dragging on his walks, walking MUCH slower, having to take breaks, lots and lots of panting, there was one night I thought that he was going to leave me- his panting was that bad. Fast forward (cardiologist, neurologist) to today, he is on Gabapentin and Tramadol (the Tramadol really was the trick to making him comfortable enough that he could sleep at night). He had been on Rimadyl also but we took him off to see how he would do on two meds vs one, and he has been ok for over at least a month and a half.

The entire time since starting the meds, I would notice here and there that he would bite at the back of his right leg. This is the leg that was causing more of an issue (probable stenosis is what we are going with). We would not consider surgery at his age (9) so we decided on the pain management route, no matter what we are dealing with. So, biting at his right leg every now and then, we figured that will happen- the meds probably don't completely 100 % take away every bit of pain or discomfort 24/7. For the last week, I have noticed him biting at his side, and it seems his left side more often if not every time. He was just outside laying in the sun and he was biting on his left hip, back of his left leg and his side. It's always easy for me to tell with the wet spots, but I sat here just now and watched.

We have not done chiro or acupuncture- I still am without work.

My concern is that he is concentrating on particular areas. These may be pains that come with age, I don't know. I am not looking for a diagnosis here of course, as that isn't possible, but maybe others experiences with their dogs biting at themselves? While my fiance may think I am a little crazy, I see these signs- they can't talk. Every little change I notice- we are very in tune and I love that.

Could he be itching and it's not related to the other issues? Lots of ragweed blooming and I see Rocket doing the same thing along with scratching, even though he is on allergy meds. Just a thought.

Could also be tingling and not really pain since nerves are involved.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest bernadette

Right- tingling. That is more along the lines of that I've thought with his right leg given the stenosis. Not so much his side though, that I am not sure about.

With the diagnosis and the area(s) he is going after, I don't think that it's an allergy.

Guest bernadette

Thanks TB. No fleas. It all makes sense with his right hip as that was his real problem one, per the neurologist. Now with the left and his left side- always in the same places, I fear he's beginning to feel more and it is so frustrating that he can't talk to me..!!! :(

While it could be tingling from his neuro issues, based on the description, it sounds more like itchy skin to me too. They can concentration on the same places with skin issues too - that's how hotspots develop.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg