Terrified Of Loud Noises

Guest lindywil

Guest lindywil

I have read in the forums of some hounds being scared of thunderstorms. Our 4 yo male, Ripper, is terrified of storms. It seems to be the thunder not the rain or lightning. If he is outside and can't get in, he will wedge himself between the metal fence and the bird aviary. We also discovered recently that other loud noises scare him as well. Our town hosted some sprint car racing and poor Ripper spent the entire week-end shaking and panting from the noise. He has had three previous homes, so we don't know if there has been some trauma with him being tied up in a storm or similar but does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can help him settle down during the storms / noises? Thanks.

Many dogs (not just Greyhounds) are afraid of storms and loud noises. There is NO reason to assume this has anything to do with some form of abuse in a prior home.

I am fortunate that my dog is not afraid of much of anything, but I know there are many thunder-phobic Greyhounds and their owners on GreyTalk. Perhaps search the forum for prior discussions? There are lots of things you can do. For one, don't put him outside by himself if the weather looks sketchy. He could hurt himself or even get away and be lost.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Our darby is afraid of the rain and thunder, we now give him Xanax to keep him calm. We have tried the thunder shirt and all the natural remedies but they didn't help. For as much as I don't like to give him drugs I would rather see him on them so that he doesn't hurt himself. We watch the weather very carefully, if it is just going to be a mild rain then I give him melatonin if it is going to be a heavy rain with possible thunder then he gets the Xanax.

I have a Thundershirt for Summer. I find that, for maximum benefit, it needs to be on her before she realizes that there is a thunderstorm. I also have a liquid called "Animal Rescue" and I give her a dropperful of that. I don't know if it's available in the US or only "Rescue Remedy" is available down there. I've been told by someone who has used both that Animal Rescue is better. Also, if she has to be taken outside during a storm, I will use a harness, scoot her out to a streetlight so the p-mail will encourage her to pee and then scoot back into the house. I don't usually take her into the backyard during a storm as I don't want her to become afraid of it (I noticed long ago that if she is taken out there during a storm, that she's nervous about it for a while afterwards) and she won't pee back there during a storm anyway.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance