Mixing Raw Protein Sources

Guest rocknrooos

Guest rocknrooos

Hi folks,

For those feeding RAW meaty bones and organ meat, is it ok to mix protein sources in one meal? As an example, if I feed pork neck bones but need to include some extra meat on the side, could I give him some chicken or beef or even turkey? Or if I feed some turkey neck bones and ran out of turkey thighs, could I give him some plain beef or even chicken to supplement the bone portion? We all know that in a perfect world we'd be feeding organ and meat from the same slaughter, although that doesn't necessarily happen when we feed RAW. I have read that any one protein source should not make up more than 50 % of the RAW diet. Although, in all my reading, I have not come across any sources that address mixing protein sources in one meal.

If your dog is fine with all those sources of course it is fine to feed more than one! I just fed pork, chicken, beef and fish in one meal for dinner. You can make a balanced diet with only a few protein sources, but my personal opinion is that you need to include enough red meats in the diet rather than relying on boney chicken parts for everything. :)

My hounds eat a raw mixture from here

It is a ground mixture of beef (incl'd bones.organs), chicken and fish and eggs.

They also get beef knuckle bones, raw chicken backs and feet as treats.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg