Tips For Introducing New (Adult) Cat To Pack

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest SillyIzzysMom

I haven't been on this forum in forever-hello again!

Please feel free to point me to another post...I'm sure it has been discussed before. I just had trouble finding it.

I had a cat when I adopted our three dogs they were all deemed "cat tolerant" and did fine with our cat. Mr Boo (the cat) died last year and we've been cat free for a year or so.

My adult son is leaning on me a bit to take one of his cats (something funny about raising the "grandcat" to me...) and I'm willing to do it, but I'm a little concerned about the dogs reaction to a new cat.

Gus the cat has been around small dogs before and is an adult cat (7 yrs old). I suspect Gus will be more of a "stand his ground" cat rather than a runner--which I hope is true. And obviously, I intend to muzzle/leash dogs on intro and not leave alone with dogs for quite some time etc...

But any other advice?

You know, when I adopted the dogs they were adjusting to a home that already had a cat and you know at first how they're reluctant to really start trouble (at least mine all seemed a little tentative for the first few months) But this time it will be bringing a strange animal into their territory where they are very comfortable etc... I'm no doggy psychologist, but it seems like this might be tricky.

If it doesn't work out then the cat will just go back with my son--his issue is having two cats that don't always get along in a small apartment (they were his girlfriend's and when she moved out she dumped them on him). So it's not like some huge have-to thing, but I do miss having a cat (sometimes...) so I hope it works.

Any tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Melissa

Edited by SillyIzzysMom

I was concerned about this when I brought two new adult cats home with an existing greyhound (OK I have only one, not a pack) but it was just fine. I would muzzle, monitor closely, etc. but if your dogs are OK with cats they should be OK with this one -- probably curious at first. Beth had met other cats she didn't live with before (at the vet, at a stable, etc.) and she always behaved appropriately.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

If they were OK with a cat before, I think you might be over thinking this! They won't see it in the same manner as they would a new dog. It'll be that weird fuzzy thing they need to check out for a day or so, and then they'll probably just ignore it.

I have recently brought home a new 11 year old cat that was reportedly afraid of dogs. Within 2 weeks, he was hanging in the same room with George--although not too close to him. George was curious (I've had cats since I got George) because this cat is WAY overweight and barely even looks like a cat (at least I imagine to George!) but once he got a good look, he just walked away and that was that!

Obviously the caution you're suggesting is very important--but I would not anticipate this as a problem!

Pretty crummy of the ex-girlfriend to just leave her cats behind.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Don't even get me started on the girlfriend. I can't tell you HOW glad I am they broke up!! Enough said.

I do think it's going to be a little interesting...I need to have the dogs on leashes/muzzled for intros, but my dogs are maniacs when the leashes come out--especially Stella. She leaps straight up in the air when I touch a leash. I'll have to take the dogs for a walk before introducing them to the cat or the dogs will probably just blindly trample him in their eagerness to get to the sidedoor for a walk. haha!!

Given your dogs' response when leashes come out, what about making the initial intro from opposite sides of a baby gate? Or if you use crates, have the dogs crated when they first see the cat? If you're planning to do on-leash introductions, I'd suggest doing each dog separately. And maybe put the leash on and let them just drag it around the house for a few minutes before you proceed.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If they were OK with a cat before, I think you might be over thinking this! They won't see it in the same manner as they would a new dog. It'll be that weird fuzzy thing they need to check out for a day or so, and then they'll probably just ignore it.

Susan is right - at least in our very recent experience.

Three weeks ago, we took in a barely 3 month old kitten and did the muzzle and leash thing for intros. That is all that was needed and within a week, this feral kitten was playing with dog ears while they slept. The kitten has been no trouble for our 4 resident hounds, however our 2 existing resident kitties have been a handful around the kitten. The dogs are totally kitten safe, but our cats certainly aren't!

Good luck trying to keep the hounds calm with leashes on!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Susan is right - at least in our very recent experience.

Three weeks ago, we took in a barely 3 month old kitten and did the muzzle and leash thing for intros. That is all that was needed and within a week, this feral kitten was playing with dog ears while they slept. The kitten has been no trouble for our 4 resident hounds, however our 2 existing resident kitties have been a handful around the kitten. The dogs are totally kitten safe, but our cats certainly aren't!

Good luck trying to keep the hounds calm with leashes on!!

Exactly!! George has been fine! Mister Bigglesworth took this opportunity to test out his ability to urine mark....ARGH! Poor new kitty was getting the blame until I figured it out. Da Ebil Won wanted to make it perfectly clear this was HIS dog!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck