Challenging Me While I'm Eating

Guest VinnyL

Guest VinnyL

Hi I'm back lol, well while I was eating at the table Miami (boy) stood in the living constantly barking, he went into a sloop position head on the ground the back slooped up, when I stood up and said no he would turn and run then come right back, then he went and bit his bed he never approached me. I stood he ran, I continued eating while he barked .should I be worried or is he testing us, now he didn't eat yet ,so I don't know confused and worried. Any help.one other thing that concerned me, while this was happening thyme (our girl) went behind the chair like she knew to get out

Edited by VinnyL

If he wasn't growling or snarling, by your description, it sounds like he was trying to get you to play with him. What you describe sounds like a "play bow" a stance dog make when they want to play. I have a couple of dogs who will bite their beds while playing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It sounds like he was trying to convince you he was cute and bribe food out of you. Our Monty does stuff like that, pulls out all sorts of "cute" frisky dog behavior when we're eating and then eyes up our food like "so, you gonna give me some of that?"

Monty also does this kind of behavior when he's excited about other things (his meals, car rides, going for walks). It's just a way for him, at least, to show his excitement and enthusiasm. The barking does get a little excessive, though. He never heard the "greyhounds aren't barkers" stereotype - or did and decided to buck it.

Thanks as always, even while I was eating, I hope that's all it was. Really enjoy this forum you guys help a lot thanks

You can always tell him to "go lay down" and when he does give him a treat and he will learn to go lay quietly on his bed until you are finished eating.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree with all the previous responses about him wanting to play, or trying to be cute to get you to give him food or attention. If you don't want him barking like this, ignore him. He may try a little harder before he stops, but if his behavior doesn't get him any attention he'll eventually stop (as long as you're consistent and don't give in). Getting up, talking to him, making eye contact are all going to encourage him to continue that behavior.

Telling him to go lay down and rewarding that is a good idea. I actually prefer to let the dog figure it out for himself. Place a nice, comfy bed near where you eat, but far enough away from the table that he won't be in the way. If he voluntarily goes to the bed and lays down, calmly toss him a treat. If he then gets up and comes over to you, ignore him. If he goes back to the bed, toss another treat. It doesn't take them long to figure out what they have to do to get rewarded. I find they learn faster and the behavior becomes more automatic if they figure it out themselves vs. being told what to do.

You also mentioned that he didn't eat yet. Was that because he hadn't been fed yet, or did he have food available and just hadn't eaten it. If he hadn't been fed yet, maybe he was just hungry?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Alysmom

We often had "dinnertime issues". I finally got where I fed Homer just before we sat down to dinner. Then he had his, we had ours. It worked beautifully.