Watermelon Rind: Ok To Eat?

Guest RooMcClanahan

Guest RooMcClanahan

Seamus and Sail love almost any fruit (I know, no grapes, no avocado) so I was wondering: Is watermelon rind safe for them to eat? They like the flesh, and it seems like it'd be fun to chew on.

Also: What fruits do they eat at the track? I think I read bananas somewhere -- which is funny because that's one the lurcher won't touch and the ex-racer loooooves.

Well, Bella's been given watermelon slices by DH who misunderstood that I would only give her the fruit and not the rind - and she suffered no ill effects. Not sure what that's worth, but there you go :D

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest greybookends

I know some people pickle watermelon rind, so it should be fine. I'm not sure if I would let them have a lot of it though as it might upset their stomach, but it's not toxic.

I would make sure to wash the rind. I wash all fruits and veggies. Think of what could happen when you slice into the rind with a knife, bacteria can enter.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb