About To Start The Adoption Process

Guest apocalyp

Guest apocalyp

I'm going to be filling out the adoption forms today but was wondering everyone's opinion on timing. I was told by our adoption group that the new dogs they're receiving this weekend will be ready for adoption after the 14th of July. My only issue is that from the 19th to 27th we'll have 4 family members visiting from out of town and staying over and we have to drive out of town for the weekend on the long weekend of august without the possibility of bringing the dogs (I already have a husky). Do you think it would be better to bring the dog home after the long weekend to avoid the stress of having a full house and then boarding shortly after arriving home or am I worrying too much?

I would wait until after you get back from your trip to bring a new greyhound home. The dog would be better off staying with the adoption kennel, or foster home until you return.

I would wait until things quiet down a bit to bring your new addition home. That way there are less distractions and changes for the dog, and you'll have more time to spend with your new greyhound when he/she comes to you. The greyhound you adopt will be adjusting to a totally new way of life, and they thrive on routines. I think the adjustment period will be quicker and easier for all if there is consistency in the home.

Of course - the wait is going to kill you! :hehe But it would be worth it, knowing that you'll have more time to spend with your new dog when you bring him/her home.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Definitely wait. Your pup needs to start living at his forever home with just those who are going to be his forever family. You'll want to start the bonding process, get a routine going and get him established at your vet right away without interruption. A less complicated household will also give you the opportunity to find out her signal for going potty, any space issues s/he may have, and closely monitor the interaction between your Husky and your new pup, etc.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Patton

Definitely wait, explain to the rescue group your plans and they should appreciate the concern you've got to make the transition the easiest possible for your new hound. They want the best chance for positive results too and should support the wait which will be short in the overall lifetime of your new dog.

Guest MyCody

Please wait, just imagine how much adjustments your pup has to make as it is. Good luck with him/her and of course we'll need pictures.

Agreed, ask to wait. It shouldn't be a problem for the group. My group gets requests like this all the time and it's no problem. We'd rather move the dog in at the best time to ensure a successful adoption; not so much like trying to clear inventory out of an over-ful warehouse. (Although I have some friends in the group who do feel that the more we move as fast as possible is better, I completely disagree and am glad they're not in charge. :brick:lol )

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I agree with all the above posts. It will be harf to wait, but will be worth it in the end.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest GreytPlains

Waiting is so agonizing, believe me, I can relate! We just brought our boy home on the 5th, and decided to wait to bring him to a new place until after the 4th with all the fireworks, explosions, and general brew ha ha were done. I couldn't sleep for a week because I was so excited. Thought it would never get here.

But I know we made the right choice and it was worth it to bring him into a more positive and less stressful situation-you have a whole lifetime with your new pal. A few days' wait isn't so bad...or at least it won't be in the long run.

Guest apocalyp

That's great. That was what I thought as well but of course there's that temptation and excitement that kicks in and plays with your mind lol. Sometimes hearing people in agreement is all that takes to steady the ship hehe.

Once he/she comes home I will make sure to make an introduction of course.

The other good news is that this gives you more time to engage in the all-important pre-greyhound adoption occupation of reading as much as possible and shopping. For everything. As many different varieties as possible. Collars, leashes, jackets, beds, more beds, another bed just in case, cushions, more beds.....