School Me On Food For A Senior Dog,,please

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

I know there are threads on certain aspects of this but none really answered the question for me.

Leia is a little over 9 now. Her activity level has dropped dramatically as far as distance she will walk,,or cares to walk. She goes about 1/4 of the distance she did 3 years ago. She only gets to visit dog friends 4 times or so a year when she will kick it into overdrive and be 5 again,,,but mostly she is enjoying naps more. rarely do we see zoomies any more.

She is healthy except for an eye problem. She eats well, she "goes:" perfect.. everything is good. She does take one supplements for her joints and fish oil in her dinner.

What I need to know is does she have to go on a senior kibble diet? What really works for her now, as far as her "going" is the Natural Balance Potatoe and Duck. I know she should be gaining weight as her activity as dropped,,but she isn't , not yet. But I am wondering will she have to be changed to a senior diet at some point?

Edited by FordRacingRon

When I worked for a high end dog food company I was told by my boss that senior foods are a crock and marketing ploy like "indoor cat" formulas. :dunno Most senior foods are about the same as weight control foods - more filler and less calories as they really can't put enough bone and joint suppliments in there to do any good.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. If she is fine and not gaining there is no need to switch foods because of age alone.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Why "fix" something that isn't broke? I have had several vets tell me that senior food is all about marketing, not nutrition. If she is doing well on her current food, I wouldn't change a thing, now or when she (hopefully) gets into her teens! The only thing to watch out for is if, as her activity level drops, she starts to put on weight. Even then, I wouldn't change foods, just give less of the same. FWIW, I don't even consider them seniors until they are at least 10 :)

Guest FordRacingRon

You know I thought I did read a discussion about this a few years back when that seemed to be the main consensus..............it it ain't broke. I would assume vitamin content and such additives like that are the same in a senior food,,that was what I was more concerned about,,,if a senior needed more of something that isn't in a regular diet.

I've been giving her that joint supplement from Springtime and it does seem to help her pop up faster.

I do recall someone once saying the same thing, about there is just more filler in senior food and it isn't that great,, just lesser calories.

Guest sirsmom

I think giving the joint supplement and extra antioxidants would make it fine to keep her on regular food. I know Royal Canin aging care and Science Diet maturity and Healthy Mobility have extra vit. C & E plus more antioxidants than the regular food

I recently read a book, Good Old Dog, that states what everyone else has said about senior formula dog food; phooey. Keep her on what works. If she starts to gain weight cut back slightly on her food and maybe give a few green beans mixed in or cut back on the treats.

BTW I would recommend the book as a good resource for people with aging dogs. Lots of good information. My vet was pleased when I went in with one of my hounds who was having problems and I caught it early because of this book. It is NOT specific to greys but just good things to know in general as your dog ages.